You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Homepod mini plays music by itself

I have just bought a homepod mini last week. However it is troubling me as it played music spontaneously and unexpected from time to time.

After adding the homgpod using default settings, on Monday, I was working remotely on my job when the homepod mini suddenly started playing music. I was not listening to any music or video, since I prefer silence when working on more challenging tasks. My husband was not at home either. Luckily I was not on an office metting. How embrassing it could be otherwise?

Then again on Wednesday, at about 5am in the monrning, the homepod started playing music at a loud volume by itself, again. Everyone was in a deep sleep. My husband was woken up and walked to the living room to turn it off.

We have no pets of any sort and no automation for playing music. My husband was irritated. He uninstalled the entire Apple Music and iTunes from his phone.

Does it mean the device is malfunctioning? Is there a way to disable music permanently?

HomePod mini

Posted on Feb 21, 2024 9:14 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2024 6:43 PM

I have a pair of HomePod 2 speakers connected to an Apple TV 4K. Everything was working normally until one day I noticed that music would start playing randomly in the middle of the night, with no apparent pattern. Even after changing the settings to require a 4-second press for activation, the issue persisted, though less frequently.

When I had some free time, I reset the HomePods and tested them individually without connecting them to the Apple TV. I discovered that one of the HomePods had an abnormal touch panel that would automatically register multiple touches. Sometimes, when rebooting after changing settings, it would automatically enter reset mode (as if the touch panel was being pressed during startup).

I eventually opened up the problematic HomePod and disconnected the touch panel's ribbon cable (the display and touch functions are separate). After this, everything worked normally. So, if you find that your settings are reset after a reboot, accompanied by three beeps, it's likely a touch panel issue. Since the touch panel isn't essential, you can simply disconnect it.

Based on current testing results, the issue is with the upper touch module. This problem can occur in both HomePod 2 and HomePod mini. To identify the problematic unit, you need to ungroup the speakers and use them individually. Once you've identified which one is malfunctioning, you can open it up and remove the touch control ribbon cable. This resolves the issue, although you won't be able to use the top touch controls manually anymore. However, Siri and the display will still function normally.

Similar questions

35 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 8, 2024 6:43 PM in response to Serena_yu1

I have a pair of HomePod 2 speakers connected to an Apple TV 4K. Everything was working normally until one day I noticed that music would start playing randomly in the middle of the night, with no apparent pattern. Even after changing the settings to require a 4-second press for activation, the issue persisted, though less frequently.

When I had some free time, I reset the HomePods and tested them individually without connecting them to the Apple TV. I discovered that one of the HomePods had an abnormal touch panel that would automatically register multiple touches. Sometimes, when rebooting after changing settings, it would automatically enter reset mode (as if the touch panel was being pressed during startup).

I eventually opened up the problematic HomePod and disconnected the touch panel's ribbon cable (the display and touch functions are separate). After this, everything worked normally. So, if you find that your settings are reset after a reboot, accompanied by three beeps, it's likely a touch panel issue. Since the touch panel isn't essential, you can simply disconnect it.

Based on current testing results, the issue is with the upper touch module. This problem can occur in both HomePod 2 and HomePod mini. To identify the problematic unit, you need to ungroup the speakers and use them individually. Once you've identified which one is malfunctioning, you can open it up and remove the touch control ribbon cable. This resolves the issue, although you won't be able to use the top touch controls manually anymore. However, Siri and the display will still function normally.

Mar 1, 2024 6:42 AM in response to timothylance

I am mad about the Homepod.

I have reset the homepod, I have only myself and husband in the home group, and allowed "only people sharing this home". We have no pets. We have no other people on our LAN/wifi or in our house.

Last Thursday during working hours, when I was the only living thing at home, and was in a complete silence. The homepod suddenly said "OK, start to play radio."

Last Saturday at 2am, we were both sleeping and Homepod started playing music at a loud volume.

Since then I had unplugged it to make sure we could sleep.

This morning I plugged it in and reset the Homepod again. At 1:35 am when no one was active the Homepod replied "OK play music from your library" and started playing.

I pushed on its top trying to stop it, but it kept resuming the music in a few seconds each time I pushed to stop it.

I said "Siri stop playing", and it complained "There's nothing to stop", yet resumed the music.

All this nonsense had to be termininated by unplugging it from the power.

I am mad about it. What a nuisance? Why is this thing so obsessed in playing music at midnight?

Feb 21, 2024 9:22 PM in response to Serena_yu1

Do you have other devices or people in your home that would be able to connect to your HomePod and play music? If so, you may want to use the steps in the section "Require a password to play audio on HomePod" from the article here: Play audio on HomePod using an iOS or iPadOS device - Apple Support

Also, in the article the section "Allow others to control audio on HomePod" mentions the following:

"Allow others to control audio on HomePod

1. In the Home app on your iOS or iPadOS device, tap , then tap Home Settings.
  2. Note: If you have more than one home, you see settings for your current home (based on your location). To edit a different home, tap Homes, then tap the home you want to edit.
  3. Tap Allow Speaker & TV Access and choose one of the following options:
    • Everyone: Gives access to everyone nearby.
    • Anyone On the Same Network: Gives access to those connected to your Wi-Fi network.
    • Only People Sharing This Home: Gives access to those you’ve invited to share your home (in the Home app) and who are connected to your Wi-Fi network."

Using these steps you'll want to check your current sharing options. If the issue continues, test a normal restart of your HomePod using the section "Restart HomePod" here: Change HomePod settings

Apr 20, 2024 5:44 PM in response to Catdokki

I configured "touch duration" into 2 sec in the accessibility settings and the pod goes mad much less.

When there's white noise around, like a fan or kettle running, or a laptop running at full power, it may still get triggered from time to time. I believe there's some flaw in Apple's algorithm so it finds an illusion of people speaking from white noise. But it's not as bad now since it no longer reports false touches.

Jul 23, 2024 10:58 AM in response to Serena_yu1

The factory default is for the HomePod to listen for

Siri

Or

Hey Siri

Sometimes the HomePod mini thinks it hears ‘Siri’. When there is no response, it will choose something to play in its own.

You need to set the HomePod mini to listen for only ‘Hey Siri

Go into the settings

Go to ‘Listen for Siri’

You will see 2 options

1. ‘Hey Siri’ or ‘Siri’

2 ‘Hey Siri’

Choose the second option

‘Hey Siri’

Aug 30, 2024 11:44 PM in response to Serena_yu1

HomePod mini in the bedroom woke up my wife twice recently by randomly playing loud music in the middle of the night. This really isn’t funny because she has sleeping issues (insomnia) in general.

Until and even if they can fix these issues, Apple should simply implement a “quiet” time setting on HomePods, so you can set them to not make any noise (even Siri answering) between certain times.

Sep 24, 2024 12:59 PM in response to Joyce3aj

I have 2 HomePod second generation and…both Apple HomePods are Garbage after software 17.5, ( OUT OF WARRANTY)…..Apple music turn by itself, siri same way, Touch Bar not working or not responding at the touch in both speakers … calling Apple support, they have the same answer for me, I have to pay $ 240 dls for a replacement, when I get a new ones for 290, I think they should be responsible for replacing or fixing the HomePod if the problem results after the software update in both speakers at the same time ( bricked the HomePods )….

Homepod mini plays music by itself

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.