You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to open "System Preference" on my MacBook with macOS Monterey.

When clicking on the System Preference icon I have a popup window with error codes

I can't open any preferences even TimeMachine settings to reinstall some system settings because have another error window.

[Re-Titled By Moderator]

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 12.7

Posted on Mar 4, 2024 2:13 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 6, 2024 1:15 PM

Ok for All of you having the same problem bad news. I found that part of ssd is damage and any attempt to use safe mode does not helping.

Any trick you going to try won’t help you.

My recommendation to buy new ssd (that what I did, M.2 and adapter if your Mac requires) and install new system. Now my Mac work perfect. Keep old drive but buy caddy case for ssd and try retrieve all your important data.

My attempt to use Carbon copy app did not give me results. I’m waiting for my caddy to arrive and will give you an update.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 6, 2024 1:15 PM in response to cherylogle

Ok for All of you having the same problem bad news. I found that part of ssd is damage and any attempt to use safe mode does not helping.

Any trick you going to try won’t help you.

My recommendation to buy new ssd (that what I did, M.2 and adapter if your Mac requires) and install new system. Now my Mac work perfect. Keep old drive but buy caddy case for ssd and try retrieve all your important data.

My attempt to use Carbon copy app did not give me results. I’m waiting for my caddy to arrive and will give you an update.

Mar 5, 2024 3:46 PM in response to pawel177

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

Mar 4, 2024 6:22 PM in response to pawel177

Move this file to the Desktop for now...

/Users/<yourname>/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist

Or..

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systempreferences.plist

~ tilde indicates  your user library folder

Apple hid the Users' Library folders...

Method 1:

1. From the Finder, select the Go menu at top of the screen, and choose Go to Folder.
  2. In the window that opens, enter ~/Library, and click Go.

Or…

Use the Command-Shift-. toggle in Finder to show or to hide hidden files and folders

Unable to open "System Preference" on my MacBook with macOS Monterey.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.