You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to control the volume on my TV after updating my Apple TV to tvOS 17.4

I got the 4K AppleTV a week ago, and yesterday the software was updated to tvOS 17.4. After this, I lost volume control on my TV.

I have restarted my LG TV and AppleTV, this did not help.

Next, I tried learning a New Device under Volume Control, and even though my LG remote is able to move left and right between volume up, down and mute on AppleTV, it is not responding when I press volume up, down or mute on my LG remote, so I am unable to set it up.

This is a really bad new experience, especially since it worked fine before the upgrade.

Any ideas what else I can do?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

49UK6300PVB

Posted on Mar 9, 2024 1:48 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2024 7:59 PM

I’m having the same problem except I have my 2nd gen HomePods as a stereo pair I reset my HomePods thinking it was them but it’s not I’ve restarted my Apple TV I don’t know how many times this tvOS 17.4 is horrible it really irritates me beyond measure lol I really don’t want to get on a beta if it comes out this week because I’m afraid of more issues I just hope Apple addresses this soon.

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 9, 2024 7:59 PM in response to unisfromcapetown

I’m having the same problem except I have my 2nd gen HomePods as a stereo pair I reset my HomePods thinking it was them but it’s not I’ve restarted my Apple TV I don’t know how many times this tvOS 17.4 is horrible it really irritates me beyond measure lol I really don’t want to get on a beta if it comes out this week because I’m afraid of more issues I just hope Apple addresses this soon.

Mar 11, 2024 6:24 AM in response to unisfromcapetown

I use a Samsung HW-A47M Soundbar on an Apple TV 4K 1st Gen, it worked fine all through tvOS 14, 15, 16 up to 17.3, and 3 remotes, the original black remote and 2 silver ones. Now suddenly the volume doesn’t have any effect. The volume level goes up and down in the BT level, but the actual volume is stuck at full blast unless I use my Samsung Remote. This is quite irritating. I have a smaller Vivitar BT tower, when I connect to that, the volume works fine.

Mar 22, 2024 3:18 PM in response to SocialSpit

I found a solution that worked for me. Disconnected and reconnected the remote per the article that @unisfromcapetown stated above and that didn’t work. However, after doing that I held down the TV icon button on my TV remote and noticed that another speaker, something from Google Gemini was connected and it was blocking out the other speakers. I simply unselected that unknown google speaker and all started working again. Hope this helps.

Mar 27, 2024 4:22 PM in response to unisfromcapetown

I don’t know if this addresses the problem of the OP but here’s my experience since the new 17.4 update…

My Siri remote lost volume control of my AV receiver after working fine for over a year (ATV4k latest gen). When I pushed a volume or mute button, I got the circle with line through it on the screen with ATV as the source. (As if that function was not available.)

Called apple support and went thru the reset, delete remote, reinstall and learn the remote “dance” with no change. Escalated to the next level…

While working with the escalation engineer, I stumbled on what seems to be a workaround….

I did the “learn remote” cycle again but this time I used the AV receiver’s IR remote to program the vol-up/vol-down/mute buttons. VOILA! All of a sudden, the Siri Remote volume & mute buttons worked. I renamed that new remote “AV System”, selected it as the device to use and went back to normal use. I did this while the escalation engineer was puzzled. We decided I created a workaround to this new problem that may be associated with the 17.4 update.

Conclusion-It seems the update erased, eliminated or otherwise deleted any IR references to the ATV Remote volume settings. Using the original remote, I reprogrammed a point of reference for the ATV remote to duplicate (clone?)

I’d imagine Apple will incorporate a fix in future updates. If it goes crazy again, I know where to look.

Apr 6, 2024 4:08 PM in response to unisfromcapetown

There was also a more common inability to control Apple TV with many remote CEC, as of this point The latest available firmware update, does NOT fix this issue. My Samsung sound bar cannot be controlled with the Apple remote, although the Apple remote causes the volume indicator to go up and down, but the actual volume out of the Samsung device stays full blast, and the mute button does not work.

One way I have been able to fix this issue is to plug my Samsung directly into my RCA TV through the light pipe. and then the Apple TV is connected via HDMI, so that through a combination of HDMI and infrared, I can use the Apple TV remote to control the volume on the Samsung sound bar.

but it’s simply not as responsive.

Unable to control the volume on my TV after updating my Apple TV to tvOS 17.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.