You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Compression preset for mp4 HEVC

I want to decrease file size for mp4 videos using Compressor - there are a bewildering aray of options and my efforts seem to produce files equal in size or smaller with a diminished quality (converting a 1080 to 720). Can you give me presets to keep resolution but dimishing file size significantly.

Posted on Mar 12, 2024 5:54 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Mar 13, 2024 2:15 AM in response to johnnymp3seed

Quality is in the eyes of the beholder...

The main things you have control of:

codec - you seem to want HEVC, which is fine. It is typically produces files that are smaller than the more traditional H264 codec, for comparable quality

frame size - 1080p, 720p... depending on the content, this may be an easy way to get a smaller file; then it will depend on the particular content and viewing device; in some cases, reducing from 4K to 1080p or from 1080 to 720p may not be very noticeable for the viewer - for example if watching on a phone screen, you are not going to get any benefit from a 4K video, and might as well serve a smaller version

bit rate - here you have a lot of latitude. Experiment! Note that how low you can go without perceived loss of quality will depend a lot on the content that you are compressing.

Compression preset for mp4 HEVC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.