You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to read files backed up from ipad to desktop mac?

Backed up my iPad via cable to Mac Studio desktop. Specifically chose to backup all data, but did NOT choose encryption. Located backup via ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/ ,but resulting documents and photos in numbered and lettered folders are all encoded. What do I need to do to restore the data so I can view it on my desktop?

Thanks!

iPad, iPadOS 17

Posted on Apr 4, 2024 3:40 PM

9 replies

Apr 4, 2024 4:09 PM in response to anyhelpgreatlyappreciated

anyhelpgreatlyappreciated wrote:

Backed up my iPad via cable to Mac Studio desktop. Specifically chose to backup all data, but did NOT choose encryption. Located backup via ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup/ ,but resulting documents and photos in numbered and lettered folders are all encoded. What do I need to do to restore the data so I can view it on my desktop?
Thanks!

backup would need to restore back to your ipad, and can't be viewed, whatever isn't synced to the cloud, mail, itunes/finder is part of the backup.

Apr 7, 2024 5:20 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks Grant! Here's what I'm grappling with: I'm trying to transfer my current iPad files to a new iPad. I long ago maxed out the iCloud associated with my current device (nothing since then has been backed up), and am wondering what the best way is to get files I really want from the current iPad to the new one. These include a TON of pdf's from the Notability app and numerous Garage Band files. I thought of:

(1) sharing the files I want to keep from the iPad with my desktop computer in whatever way (?) is most efficient;

(2) deleting those files from the current iPad;

(3) deleting everything from the current contents of the iCloud that came from iPad so I can:

(4) back up the remaining content of the iPad to the now-empty iCloud;

(5) downloading that content from the iCloud to the new iPad, and finally,

(6) sharing back the files from step (1) from my desktop to the new iPad

I'm guessing this is not the most efficient solution to the problem. Is there a better way to accomplish this?

Apr 7, 2024 6:15 PM in response to anyhelpgreatlyappreciated

connect your OLD iPad to your Mac with a cable.

back up your iPad to your Mac. They are a backup BLOB -- you don't need to examine them on your Mac.

(if you want to KEEP your local passwords, you MUST encrypt the backup, otherwise it is not considered safe enough, and passwords will be omitted from the backup.)

connect your NEW iPad to your Mac with a cable.

Restore your files to your NEW iPad, and the new device will seem a lot like the old one -- in a good way!

How to read files backed up from ipad to desktop mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.