You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Apple external DVD/Cd drive on my Mac Studio will not play or burn DVD's

Can my apple DVD drive be too old to work with latest OS? When I put a DVD in the drive the disc icon appears, but when I click on it a window opens showing the 2 folders, Audio & Video. When I try to burn a DVD from a video from my Final Cut Pro, I get a failure notice. What can I do?

Mac Studio, macOS 14.4

Posted on Apr 8, 2024 8:47 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

Apr 8, 2024 9:11 AM in response to spinner113

If you're looking at a DVD-Video disc on the desktop, it would be normal to see the video and audio folders. For CDs, CD-Audio came first, and then people retrofitted stuff to allow for CD-ROMs. For DVDs, the idea was that they'd always have a filesystem on them, and they'd layer stuff (e.g. DVD-Video) on top of that.

The real question is why DVD Player didn't launch. It used to be in the Application folder. In recent versions of macOS, Apple hid it away. In Ventura, it is in Macintosh HD > System > Library > CoreServices > Applications.

If it's not running automatically, you could try running it manually.

My Apple external DVD/Cd drive on my Mac Studio will not play or burn DVD's

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.