You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installed Sonoma 14.5 - now I can't use Apple Pay

M1 Mac Studio - just installed macOS 14.5 - got an error message to the effect, "Another user has configured Apple Pay on this computer. Only one user is allowed to have Apple Pay enabled on this device at a time. All Cards stored in your wallet have been removed."

I do not have any secondary users on this computer. There is exactly one Admin type user (myself) and Guest User is "off".

In the Wallet & Apple Pay section of System Preferences - Payment Cards -> click "Add card..." - error:

"This Mac requires Magic Keyboard to make purchases using Apple Pay. To continue, set up your Magic Keyboard in Bluetooth Settings."

This seems to be a new requirement. I had been using Apple Pay with my Logitech external USB keyboard - and authorizing transactions with my Apple Watch. Is this an intentional change?

Mac Studio

Posted on May 19, 2024 6:49 AM

29 replies

Jul 21, 2024 7:31 PM in response to Dracomalfoy724

For me, it is just not being to use Apple Pay without a Touch ID keyboard. That part I guess I understand, though it sure would be nice to know in advance.

I have a brand new Mac mini with M2. I really don't NEED to use Apple Pay on this, but it would be handy.

Two more issues:

1. I don't see an option to "enable Apple Pay on Mac" on my iPhone. Maybe back to the keyboard issue?
  2. Apple removed ALL the cards from Apple Pay on ALL my devices except for the Apple cards. All third party cards must now be re-added to Apple Pay.

I'm really disappointed with this, particularly #2. Shouldn't Apple at least have mentioned it somewhere prominently? If they did, I didn't know about it.

May 24, 2024 7:00 AM in response to Dracomalfoy724

There are two issues going on here. One is the user issue and the other issue is a keyboard with Touch ID. We need to resolve the user issue first. But we can really test it with the keyboard with Touch ID.

Here is a possible solution that I found in the community here:

>>I think I found a solution/workaround. It involves setting up a second "temporary" iCloud account on your Mac to activate the "Reset Apple Pay" option. Here are the steps I followed:

• Make sure that you delete any leftover credit or debit cards added on your current user account, which should all show "Removed by issuer" at this point.
  • In System Settings > Users & Groups, add a new Admin account (should probably work with a Standard account too, but this is what I used).
  • Restart your computer and login to the "temporary" account.
  • When setting up the temporary account, create a new iCloud account and follow the prompts. I created an @iCloud.com email address, and you'll need a phone number separate from the one you use on your main account to create the account. The name doesn't have to match the name you have on your debit or credit cards.
  • Still in the account setup process, after setting up iCloud, set up TouchID. You can use the same fingerprints as the main account.
  • After setting up TouchID, set up Apple Pay. Since it's a new iCloud account, you'll need to enter the card details manually. You'll see that you're presented with the card verification process this time, and it goes through properly. That's all you need the "temporary" account for.
  • Log out of the "temporary" account and log into your main account. In System Settings > Wallet & Apple Pay, select "Add Card..." You'll be presented with a screen similar to this one:

• Once you click "Reset Apple Pay and Add Card..." your saved cards in iCloud from other devices should populate as expected, and you can add them all with no issue.

So in short, set up a new user account on the Mac, create a new iCloud account for that user account, set up TouchID and Apple Pay on the new user account. Log back into your main account and reset Apple Pay. Everything should work now.

I'm not sure if there's a way to get the "Reset Apple Pay" option in any other way, but this seems to do the trick. I was able to add all my cards with no issue just now.<<

Jun 13, 2024 5:27 AM in response to lyrrick

This issue is still not resolved.

My key factors:

• M1 Mac Studio (no built-in Touch ID)
  • 3rd party keyboard (no Touch ID possible)
  • Unable to add cards to Mac's Wallet with error:

• Worked before Sonoma 14.5
  • Previously, in Sonoma 14.0 and up (and earlier) - I had multiple cards on my Mac, Apple Watch, and iPhone. Whenever I used a "Pay with Apple Pay" on the Mac, I would be presented with a combined list of all my payment options from all 3 devices. If I selected a card stored on my Mac - I would have to "authorize" the transaction using my watch just like I use it to unlock my 1Password, or log into my Mac.
  • Following the update to 14.5 - all cards from my Mac were removed. However I can still transact with Apple Pay using cards stored on my Watch and Phone. But I cannot add cards directly to the Mac anymore.

Jul 21, 2024 7:20 PM in response to Dracomalfoy724

If it was just not being to use Apple Pay without a Touch ID keyboard. That part I guess I understand, though it sure would be nice to know in advance.

I have a brand new Mac mini with M2. I really don't NEED to use Apple Pay on this, but it would be handy.

Two more issues:

1. I don't see an option to "enable Apple Pay on Mac" on my iPhone. Maybe back to the keyboard issue?
  2. Apple removed ALL the cards from Apple Pay on ALL my devices except for the Apple cards. All third party cards must now be re-added to Apple Pay.

I'm really disappointed with this, particularly #2. Shouldn't Apple at least have mentioned it somewhere prominently? If they did, I sure didn't know about it.

[Edited by Moderator]

Jul 8, 2024 8:06 PM in response to Jeff Donald

Hey Jeff.

Just wanted to say a big "thank you." I just updated my Mac with Sonoma 14.5 and got this dreaded message too that freaked me out. So followed your advice as the Apple Pay was on my phone, so I toggled on/off Allow Payments to Mac > restarted phone > restarted Mac > went into settings on Mac for Wallet added card (same as phone) and all working. Hope other folks tried your suggestion. Worked for me, so again many thanks for your thoughtful solution.

May 23, 2024 3:54 PM in response to Jeff Donald

Apologies - I had not responded yet because I was waiting to encounter an Apple Pay website to test if this worked. But now I realize that you were not suggesting a workaround - you were suggesting that following these steps should lead to me being able to add cards to Apple Wallet on my Mac.

Let me confirm - no, even after following these steps - I still get this very clear error that I cannot add cards to my M1 Mac Studio unless I have a Magic Keyboard with Touch ID.

I was understanding your line of inquiry / suggestion as a workaround to the problem. Namely - that I could use my iPhone's Wallet to store my cards - and then simply "use" them via my Mac during a Mac-based Apple Pay transaction.

I'm not sure if you are privy to insider information - but if so, could you clarify - is the expectation that I should be able add cards TO the Mac Apple Wallet without a Magic Keyboard as I could before 14.5? And the fact that I can't is a defect?

Or was this an intentional design change that Apple made to require a Magic Keyboard to store cards on a Mac on 14.5 - and that for those who don't have a Magic Keyboard - they could use their iPhone and/or Apple Watch(?) to store their cards, while still transacting with them when using Apple Pay on Mac?

Jun 13, 2024 9:13 AM in response to Murray Wilson

There are multiple issues at play here. One issue is the >>Apple Pay Not Available<< and the other is the Multiple Users issue.

Some users have been able to add cards to the Mac for use with Apple Pay by adding another User account to the Mac, using the same Apple ID Account and then adding a credit or debit card. A message will pop up about it’ll remove cards from another user. Agree to that and then remove the cards from the new User Account and then delete the new User Account.

Restart the Mac and login into the original User Account and attempt to add a credit or debit card and it should go in if an Apple Keyboard with Touch ID is setup and enabled. It may also be added if on your iPhone you have enabled >> Payments On Mac > Allow Payments on Mac on your iPhone. This would also need tp be enabled on Apple Watch using the Watch app on the paired iPhone.

All in all about 30 minutes of work or less, if all goes well. Some users report it didn’t work. I haven’t personally had this issue, but I’ve seen it confirmed to work on multiple social media platforms and also here in the Apple Support Community.

Installed Sonoma 14.5 - now I can't use Apple Pay

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.