You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dell S2721QS monitor display flickers every ~20 seconds when connected to Apple Studio with USB-C to DisplayPort cable

Had no issue with the same monitor and cable when connected to an older iMac.

Tried with different cable in different USB-C port on the Studio, same issue.

No problem when connected with HDMI cable.

Dell monitor P2715Q has no issue with the same setup.

Dell monitor U2723QE connected with USB-C to USB-C cable also has no issue.

Mac Studio (2023)

Posted on May 23, 2024 6:54 PM

5 replies

May 24, 2024 9:29 AM in response to caseta

There is no "problem". More recent versions of MacOS are more demanding. They insist there be NO transmsiion error in data sent to the display.

When you use a Certified Premium or Ultra HDMI cable, and you have at least M2 PRO or MAX processor, that is supported directly, the cable is adequate, it does not generate errors, and does not drop out.

When you use adapters or adapter/cables that are not quite good enough, or have more than ONE meter of cord between computer and adapter-electronics, for more that ONE meter of cord from adapter-electronics to display, the signal deteriorates and causes errors. if your adapter/cables were a little bit worse or their cables were a little bit longer, they would not work at all, or would only work at lower resolution.

May 24, 2024 4:38 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Yes, there is a problem, I don't think you read the description carefully, in which case please don't reply with misleading information.

I'd like a citation for the 1st claim. If it worked on an older Mac that was running the latest or next to latest Mac OS, it should work on a newer one, too.

The HDMI cable I use is a cheap HDMI cable and that poses no problem. Expensive HDMI cables are a scam for people who don't realize the transmission is digital, not analog.

The USB-C to DisplayPort cables I use have no problem with an older Dell monitor (I have mentioned the models in the description), but when used with the S2721QS, it flickers. That didn't happen on a 2017 iMac.

Again, the problem isn't the image, the image looks fine, but every 20 seconds or so the display goes black (as if it was turned off) for half a second and then back to normal.

Dell S2721QS monitor display flickers every ~20 seconds when connected to Apple Studio with USB-C to DisplayPort cable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.