You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I add an adaptor to Mac Studio Ultra M2 that will give me optical audio output?

Hello, 

Just got my new Mac Studio M2. It doesn’t come with an audio output and I have a cable that used to connect my old computer (mac pro late 2013) to my receiver. 

I tired to search on various forums but it always too complicated for me to understand what I need for my needs. 

What will be the best way to connect it and to get good sound? I just want to play music from my computer with the cable I have.

My screen is now connected via HDMI, so if it needs to be through this than I'll need an adapter the has both optical and HDMI, but I prefer doing it through USB3 to optical if it's even a possibiltiy.

Thank you very much

Shlomit

Mac Studio (2023)

Posted on Jun 8, 2024 12:21 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 12, 2024 12:04 AM

I guess it depends on how you want to connect your Mac Studio to the receiver.

• Using an analog cable to carry the stereo signal from the Mac Studio's headphone jack to a pair of stereo RCA input jacks on the receiver?
  • Using a USB or Thunderbolt sound card to add an optical audio output to your Mac, so you can run an optical audio cable from the sound card to the receiver?
  • Using a USB or Thunderbolt sound card to add multi-channel audio output (possibly using analog outputs) to your Mac, so you can connect that to a multi-channel input on your receiver?
  • Using a HDMI cable to carry sound from the Mac Studio's HDMI port (or from a HDMI splitter attached to that port?) to a HDMI input jack on the receiver? (*)
  • Using a USB-C to HDMI adapter cable to carry sound from one of the Mac Studio's USB-C ports to a HDMI input jack on the receiver? (*)

(*) I'm not sure how the Mac will react if it sees just a receiver connected via HDMI, not a monitor.

Note that the USB-C ports on your Mac Studio support both USB (USB 3.1 Gen 2) and Thunderbolt, and will adapt to the type of device that you plug in.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 12, 2024 12:04 AM in response to ShlomitH

I guess it depends on how you want to connect your Mac Studio to the receiver.

• Using an analog cable to carry the stereo signal from the Mac Studio's headphone jack to a pair of stereo RCA input jacks on the receiver?
  • Using a USB or Thunderbolt sound card to add an optical audio output to your Mac, so you can run an optical audio cable from the sound card to the receiver?
  • Using a USB or Thunderbolt sound card to add multi-channel audio output (possibly using analog outputs) to your Mac, so you can connect that to a multi-channel input on your receiver?
  • Using a HDMI cable to carry sound from the Mac Studio's HDMI port (or from a HDMI splitter attached to that port?) to a HDMI input jack on the receiver? (*)
  • Using a USB-C to HDMI adapter cable to carry sound from one of the Mac Studio's USB-C ports to a HDMI input jack on the receiver? (*)

(*) I'm not sure how the Mac will react if it sees just a receiver connected via HDMI, not a monitor.

Note that the USB-C ports on your Mac Studio support both USB (USB 3.1 Gen 2) and Thunderbolt, and will adapt to the type of device that you plug in.

Jun 8, 2024 6:48 AM in response to ShlomitH

You can use a standard analog audio cable from the Studio's headphone out to one of the analog audio inputs on your receiver. In most cases that would be a cable like this -> https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=5597 Simple, inexpensive, easy to use.

If you really need optical audio, then either an HDMI splitter or a Thunderbolt dock that has optical audio output should work. Here are two examples:

Jun 8, 2024 6:28 AM in response to ShlomitH

There are USB sound cards that have optical audio outputs. Possibly Thunderbolt ones that would have them, too, though those would be more specialized and expensive pieces of equipment if they existed.

There may also be some Thunderbolt docks with optical digital output, though I wouldn't advise purchasing a dock just to use a single audio port.

I"m not sure why you think you need an adapter that has both optical audio output and HDMI. If your Mac Studio works like mine, you can select one sound output at a time, and it doesn't have to be the one built in to the monitor.

Can I add an adaptor to Mac Studio Ultra M2 that will give me optical audio output?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.