You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Power Off or Remove/Unplug.

From Vision OS 1.2 we have the option to sign-in with Optic ID instead of passcode. This works great except when the Vision Pro has been powered off when the passcode is required again.

This implies again that we don’t need to power down when not using the Vision Pro. The user manual describes how to power down and how to force a reset but is not clear whether this should be done every time the Vision Pro is removed and before the battery cable disconnected.

I have been using SIRI to power down the Vision Pro after every use and then removing the battery. With Optic ID for sign in this just seems wrong. What is the correct way? I know we can just remove/unplug but does this run the risk of any data corruption?

Apple Vision Pro

Posted on Jun 12, 2024 5:25 PM

1 reply

Jun 13, 2024 6:00 AM in response to melibokus

Here is my take… YMMV: Like you, I find it easiest to used Siri to shut down (or restart) the AVP. I shut down if I am not going to use the AVP for several hours. I usually take the AVP off for brief period during a “session” and would never consider shutting down if I am going to put it back on within the next hour or so. There is some concern that the AVP can overheat if left on and vents are covered and you should always keep the front cover on when not in use… even for brief periods. Some people think overheating is the cause for some units developing a crack in the glass, but I don’t have an opinion on this. I don’t think short periods of keeping the cover on while the unit is on creates a overheating problem (less than 1 hour). The battery can become depleted if you leave the unit on for an extended period while not in use and it will take a while to recharge the battery enough to restart the AVP when this happens. There is no need to disconnect the battery after shut down unless the cable becomes kinked when you store the AVP. I would avoid disconnecting the battery unless you shutdown the AVP first to avoid possible data corruption.

Power Off or Remove/Unplug.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.