You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Siri not working on Sonoma with Mac Studio & Studio Display - noise when icon/button pressed

All settings are correct and have tried toggling Siri. WiFi and ethernet are connected.

When I either click the Siri Menu Bar icon or press and hold the Mic/F5 button I just get an odd sound but no response from Siri. It does not display any text (I tried turning the option on to display Siri's words).

When toggling Siri OFF and then ON, and then turning the 'Listen For' options on it goes through the learning exercise. Not sure why but it will repeat this if I toggle the 'Listen For' off and then back on - surely it does not need to re-learn.

Please don't direct me to any Apple Support documents - I've been through them all.

And yes, the microphone works fine in e.g. Zoom.

What else could be wrong?

Mac Studio, macOS 14.5

Posted on Jun 13, 2024 12:40 PM

4 replies

Jun 14, 2024 12:54 AM in response to BDAqua

Very helpful, thank you.

In Safe Mode Siri works as expected. Which prompted me therefore to examine what is NOT interfering in Safe Mode.

It would appears to be NordVPN.

Back in Normal Mode:

1. With NordVPN DISABLED, Siri will not work.
  2. With NordVPN fully QUIT, Siri WILL work.

Let me be really specific for the benefit of recording the detail: with NordVPN running:

(a) macOS does not respond to a "Hey Siri" call

(b) Pressing and holding mic/F5, or clicking the Siri Menu Bar icon, DOES cause Privacy Services to spot Siri running (witnessed by orange dot by the Settings double slider icon in Menu Bar), and Siri once again makes the 'no response' sound.

The 'sound' (a sort of double-bounce noise) seems therefore to be alerting to an inability to connect to Siri servers?

Further, the choice of VPN country or server makes no difference (which it often can with anything that is obstructed by VPN where some services see certain VPN servers as blacklisted).

Looks like I need to head over to NordVPN.

Jun 13, 2024 3:36 PM in response to RJKflyer

Start with this if M1, M2, or M3 Mac...

On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > Shut Down.

Wait for your Mac to shut down completely. A Mac is completely shut down when the screen is black and any lights (including in the Touch Bar) are off.

Press and hold the power button on your Mac until “Loading startup options” appears.

Select a volume.

Press and hold the Shift key, then click Continue in Safe Mode.

The computer restarts automatically. When the login window appears, you should see “Safe Boot” in the menu bar.

Does the problem occur in Safe Mode? 

Restart normally.

To find out if it's system wide or user specific, try this...

Open System Preferences>Users & Groups, unlock the lock, click on the little plus icon, make a new admin account, log out & into the new account.

Does it work in the new account?

Siri not working on Sonoma with Mac Studio & Studio Display - noise when icon/button pressed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.