You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Is it normal for my iPad Pro and Apple Pencil Pro to lose charge fast?

I’m an artist, I purchase my new M4 iPad Pro 11 and Apple Pencil pro over a week ago, I have encounter an issue of both products battery doesn’t last as long as they should, iPad only last around 4 hours from 80% battery while using drawing app, not sure if this normal? And it also getting warm quite fast! On the other hand Apple Pencil pro hardly last 1 hour per 100% charge it already drop to 20% after 1 hour use. Anyone have any idea how to fix this?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jun 24, 2024 1:38 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2024 11:06 AM

Glad to see I am not alone. My new Apple Pencil Pro battery drains very noticeably fast. If I leave it on the shelf (not moving at all) overnight… It drains from full to under 20% …. This is not acceptable.

Hopefully there is an emergency fix on the way!

18 replies

Aug 4, 2024 8:14 PM in response to soch626

I agree. There’s something funky going on with this. I’m happy I found this post. I’ve been thinking the same thing since I bought the new iPad M4 with the pencil. I use good notes a lot for studying, and I always charge the pencil, but I have noticed that it drains the battery way faster than the second-gen Apple Pencil. It’s kind of annoying. Also, I have two Apple Pencil Pros, and I am in the same situation with both. Hopefully, Apple can fix this defect.

Aug 9, 2024 2:37 AM in response to soch626

Update, I got mine replace, and even the new one doesn’t seem to be different, and it’s very buggy when charging, charge doesn’t feel smooth as it stay at the same percentage for a long while before the charge goes up quickly after, I wonder if IPad Pro have anything to do with how the pencil behave, I bought the 2 from 2 different region, is that an issue?

Jun 24, 2024 1:57 AM in response to soch626

Some graphics/drawing Apps are CPU/GPU intensive - and will cause the iPad battery to deplete faster than when using other Apps. Increased warming of the iPad can be expected when using graphics intensive Apps - this warming perhaps being more noticeable due to the new iPad Pro M4s improved thermal management that helps to dissipate heat to the chassis.

Also consider that many third-party Apps will not yet be best optimised for the new M4 SoC - and this might negatively impact direct comparison with an older iPad for which an App might be better optimised.

If you have reason to suspect that your iPad Pro is not performing as it should, try a forced-restart - as this will often clear an isolated software issue:

Force restart iPad (models with Face ID or with Touch ID in the top button)

If your iPad doesn’t have the Home button, do the following:

1. Press and quickly release the volume button nearest to the top button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button.
  3. Press and hold the top button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the top button.

If the problem persists after performing the restart, it may be necessary to reset your iPad settings. While this reset will not cause any loss of data, as a precaution, it is always wise to ensure that you have a current iCloud or iTunes backup before performing the reset:

How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

When you are happy to proceed, you can perform the reset from iPad settings:

Settings > General > Transfer or Reset iPad > Reset > Reset All Settings

If the problem still doesn’t clear, the next step is to reset the iPad to factory settings:

Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

Otherwise, you would be best advised to seek assistance directly from Apple Support. You can contact the Support Team using the Support link at top-right or bottom-left of this page. Alternatively and perhaps easier, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Sep 16, 2024 7:53 PM in response to soch626

I’m willing to put up with it, but I’d still like to share my experiences…I had the first version of the Apple Pencil, the one where the top came completely off. it would take days/about a week for it to die completely. It was like that for 2 years until i accidentally broke it. Got the newest gen, won’t even last a day at full charge. Very, very odd to me.

Jun 24, 2024 2:12 AM in response to soch626

The new Apple Pencil Pro is obviously more sophisticated than its forebears - but retains a similar capacity [tiny] battery. As such, you might reasonably anticipate its battery to deplete a little quicker than the prior versions of Apple Pencil.

It is generally recommended that the Pencil is docked with the host iPad whenever it is not being actively used - as this will ensure that the Pencil's battery is always optimally charged. Even if fully discharged, docking the Pencil for just a few minutes will sufficiently recharge the Pencil for +15 minutes of continuous use - with full charge being achieved rapidly if left charging for longer.

Understand that a Pencil will remain active if its internal accelerometer detects the slightest movement or vibration - and as such will continue to deplete its battery if not docked with the iPad. If set-aside, the Pencil will only enter its low power state if it remains completely motionless for many minutes. The slightest disturbance will cause the Pencil to become fully active.

Oct 16, 2024 10:13 PM in response to soch626

Same thing here. I use ipad pro 2024 11 inch. I thought it was a charging problem, I guess not! The only difference is on full charge mine lasts for 1.5h before going to 20% but come on, that makes no difference when you are trying to do homework or take notes.

The only good thing is it charges quite fast. By the time I'm writing this line it's already charged to 65%.

Oct 19, 2024 9:21 AM in response to soch626

Similar experience. I write music on the iPad using an application called staffpad. After writing for only about an hour, the pencil was already close to 20%. My previous apple pencils lasted for hours. Yes, I can recharge it but writing music is sometimes about ideas flowing and to disrupt that flow to wait for a charge has me regretting getting it. Hopefully apple can fix this asap.

Oct 19, 2024 4:34 PM in response to soch626

I recently got the pencil pro and at first didn’t notice any fast battery draining until I added it to my device list in the findmy app making it trackable. I think having this on might be one of the or the cause of it. I’m charging my pencil back up to 100% now and then going to remove it from the findmy list to see if that makes a difference.

Oct 20, 2024 2:56 AM in response to Stumbleuponfl

POSSIBLY FOUND THE ISSUE… at least with mine… it’s been about 13 hours since I org posted, which at that time I removed my apple pencil pro from the device list within the findmy app. Normally the pencil pro would of been long dead by now, however ever since I removed it from the device list, my pencil went from 100% charged to 94% charged…

Is it normal for my iPad Pro and Apple Pencil Pro to lose charge fast?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.