You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

LaCie External Drive Keeps Sleeping

The LaCie external drive that I purchased from Apple to run with my M1 Apple studio keeps sleeping even during use. And sleeps when I haven't used it for mere seconds. I have tried to put in the code that I found in the community into the terminal:

sudo pmset -c spindown 0

But I get a warning message:

Warning: Idle sleep timings for "AC Power" may not behave as expected.

- Disk sleep should be non-zero whenever system sleep is non-zero.

I cannot get the LaCie drive to stop spinning down. I could understand if it went to sleep after a period of non-use but to constantly be asleep just seconds or minutes after it hasn't been used is causing me to have a "slow" computer again after having just purchased this brand new computer and hard drive. I'm getting the rainbow wheel constantly because the LaCie drive is asleep repeatedly. It is incredibly frustrating.

Mac Studio (2023)

Posted on Jun 28, 2024 12:28 PM

1 reply

LaCie External Drive Keeps Sleeping

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.