You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am trying to use old iPod to backup music

Adding device to account. I have an old iPod that I use to backup my music. Haven't used it in years. It won't download music. It lost all the music that it did have. Don't know what's going on.

Trying to use ole iPod to backup music. How do I authorize new device?

[Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Jul 6, 2024 5:23 AM

1 reply

Jul 6, 2024 10:38 AM in response to Ken Cleveland

The first point to make is that an iPod is not a suitable backup for your music because there is no easy way to copy music on an iPod back to a computer or onto anywhere else.

A more suitable method is to backup the music that is on your computer to a suitably sized external drive. Buy yourself an external drive and copy the music to that instead.

Next, if you want to add music to the old iPod (but not as a backup), then if you still have iTunes, use it to copy music from your iTunes Library to the iPod. Alternatively, if you're using a newer Mac, use the built in Finder to add music to the iPod. If you are subscribed to Apple Music, that effectively makes it impossible to add your music to the iPod.

If you want to add Apple Music (the Apple Music subscription service) to your iPod, it will need to be a fairly recent iPod Touch. Apple Music cannot be added to other models of iPod.

Post back for further advice, based on which of the above scenarios you are using.

I am trying to use old iPod to backup music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.