You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to set up remote access on macos9

B & W G3

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Jul 15, 2024 6:12 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2024 7:04 AM

Do you want to use a Remote Access control panel to set up a PPP serial modem connection to an Internet provider (landline phone)? Or perhaps gain remote access to another Mac? Something entirely different? Please clarify (including information about involved devices, et cetera).

Power Macintosh G3 (Blue and White) - Technical Specifications - Apple Support

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 15, 2024 7:04 AM in response to Bjblaster

Do you want to use a Remote Access control panel to set up a PPP serial modem connection to an Internet provider (landline phone)? Or perhaps gain remote access to another Mac? Something entirely different? Please clarify (including information about involved devices, et cetera).

Power Macintosh G3 (Blue and White) - Technical Specifications - Apple Support

Jul 16, 2024 8:27 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Hi Jan

Thank you for taking the time to respond and give guidance.

I have now been able to connect the two computers to each other and have been able to resolve the issue.

I have an Apple Powerpc G3 (Blue & White tower) 400Mhz processor.

Connected to this is an Apple Powerpc (Tower) G4 400Mhz processor via AppleTalk via ethernet

The graphics card in the G3, ATI Rage 128, is struggling and the screen is virtually unreadable (I have tried various monitors)

On the G3, I was trying to view and archive files from an external Lacie DVD RAM disk reader/writer - (17 dual disks - 34 sides).

I was hoping to view the G3 discs via the G4 as that has no graphic card issues.

In order to hopefully assist any other people who might have a similar issue I detail the steps that I went through (hopefully I haven’t missed anything out). *This is not a definitive guide and your system and settings and menus may differ.

*Note reference to G3 and G4 are for illustrative purposes only - substitute your own devices accordingly.

*Ensure that one has no “blocking-access” software settings such as Netbarrier etc if so adjust settings accordingly.

Physically connect both computers to an ethernet hub.

On both computers - select Apple Menu > Control Panels > Appletalk - Set to Ethernet

On the G3 - select Apple Menu > Control Panels > File Sharing (Start/Stop Tab) - set to on.

Also here one will see: the Owner Name, the Owner Password and the computer name and IP address. In my case the connect over TCP/IP was ticked but I’m not sure if this is relevant. *one will need the Owner Name and the Owner Password to enter into the G4 when attempting to connect.

Shut down both computers and reboot the G4, when rebooted then reboot the G3.

On the G4 - select Apple Menu > Control Panels > Chooser - click on Appleshare

In the Appleshare Chooser Pane one should see the G3’s computer name - double click that and the connect window should appear - click on Registered User and enter the G3 Owners Name and the G3 Owners Password and click on connect.

Hopefully one should be able to view the G3’s Hard Drive and any other discs thus attached.

When adding or connecting Discs to the G3 one may have to: On the G4 select Apple Menu > Network Browser - select Local Network drop-down menu whereby the disc/s should appear - double click the disc you want to view which should then appear on the G4’s Desktop.

Any comments, corrections, advise, clarifications, recommendations etc are welcome. 

Jul 16, 2024 11:29 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Addendum II

The exact models listed in an old Apple support article How to use and troubleshoot FireWire target disk mode

HT1661 (January 28, 2016):

/.../

Host computers must meet these requirements:

• Built-in FireWire port or a FireWire port on a PC card
  • FireWire 2.3.3 or later
  • Mac OS 8.6 or later

Target computers

These models can be used as target computers:

• iMac (Slot Loading) with Firmware version 2.4 or later
  • iMac (Summer 2000) and all models introduced after July 2000
  • eMac (all models)
  • Mac mini (all models)
  • Power Mac G4 (AGP Graphics) with ATA drive
  • Power Mac G4 Cube
  • Power Mac G4 (Gigabit Ethernet) and all models introduced after July 2000
  • Power Mac G5 (all models)
  • Mac Pro (all models)
  • iBook (FireWire) and all models introduced after September 2000
  • PowerBook G3 (FireWire)
  • PowerBook G4 (all models)
  • MacBook Pro (all models)
  • MacBook models introduced before October 2008

/.../

how to set up remote access on macos9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.