You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installation of Arduino Uno R4 WIFI drivers for Mac Studio

Project: Attach a Arduino UNO R4 WIFI to my Apple Mac Studio m1 Max, 32gb RAM, using Ventura 13.6.6 OS

Issue: I am at my wits end trying to figure out how to get any com ports to display in system report page. USB's are coming in fine.

I also have tried Windows 11 Virtual, and finally broke parts of the issue, but still have problems uploading the sketches when compiling.

Would like top break the chain between Windows 11 and Parallels and Ventura. Want to do all on my Mac side.

I have tried numerous options, drivers, resets, etc., and nothing has worked. Not seen much help in the Arduino forum about my troubles, so I decided to try Apple, since it appears to be my biggest road block.

Does anyone have a working solution / drivers for getting my com ports installed?

Any help appreciated.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Mac Studio, macOS 13.6

Posted on Jul 17, 2024 11:28 AM

3 replies

Jul 17, 2024 9:00 PM in response to weaponrascal

There are no drivers needed to use the Arduino IDE on a Mac with the R4 WiFi. I've just tested it with an M1 MacBook Pro that had not previously had any Arduino software installed on it and successfully uploaded a sketch to the R4 within about 5 minutes.

Download the latest Arduino IDE - make sure it's the Apple Silicon version. Connect the R4 WiFi via USB (allow it to connect if you get a USB accessory popup) then run the IDE software. Select the R4 WiFi from the "Select Board" drop-down at the top of the editor window. You'll be asked if the platform core for that board should be installed - say yes. That's all I had to do. You will now be able to compile and upload sketches.

Jul 18, 2024 11:34 AM in response to Mudge

Thank you Mudge for the reply, but No Joy.

Here is what I did. First, I uninstalled any drivers I previously installed during my test installs. I download the latest Arduino 2.3.2 Apple Silicon ver. I then restarted the Mac Studio.

After logging back in (which I am an administrator) to the desktop, I removed some cabling to give me to at least one usb3 port.

I then installed the Arduino IDE ver 2.3.2 Apple Silicon ver. At the same timer, I had the Mac Studio System Information page up on the screen so I could monitor any Hardware>USB entry changes.

Still, No JoyI have tried numerous slots on the Mac Studio, numerous cable (some with USB3 and USB2 connections, some with USB Type C connections), I also tried rebooting at various points, and still No Joy).

You know, I have a MacBook Pro, not sure of the software version, I will take the R4 wifi card and a cable to the dining table and run the same processes as above and see what happens.

Will update posting later today.

Jul 18, 2024 12:12 PM in response to weaponrascal

Mudge, Test Results on my MacBook Pro, Catalina 10.15

Booted laptop up, had to wait a bit due to dead battery.

Logged In, checked System Report, USB and did not see anything out of ordinary.

Checked Applications folder, Arduino 2.0 already installed (will update and try testing afterwards to see if same results occur).

Plugged in Arduino UNO R4, watched systems screen, nothing happened.

So I went ahead an started Arduino IDE, Tools, add Board. Completed

Then tried to assign port, did my normal drop-down, and guess what was there... Yup, the Arduino was recognized, port assigned, and working perfectly. Tired a couple of beginner sketches, check sketch worked, compile sketch worked, and the Arduino displayed the on-board led at pin 13 perfectly.

So the question still remains, what is it about the MacBook Pro where everything works, and the Mac Studio M1 gives me heartburn?

Installation of Arduino Uno R4 WIFI drivers for Mac Studio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.