You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Studio Randomly Moving Drives Issue - any updates?

I upgraded from an i5 iMac (27") to a Mac Studio, and the drive icons seem to wander around the screen. Each time the display goes to sleep and I "wake" it, the drive icons are in a different place than where I left them. This does not seem to affect other icons; it just drives. I have a MacBook Air M2 that DOES NOT do this -- only the studio.

I saw that others were posting on this but could not find a fix, nor was I able to update the original post.

So, has anyone fixed this issue? It is quite annoying.

Mac Studio, macOS 14.5

Posted on Jul 17, 2024 3:22 PM

4 replies

Jul 17, 2024 8:12 PM in response to BDAqua

This will not fix the problem. I have the drives positioned on the right side, under the main OS system drive, and each time the sleep happens, the drives are in a different position—this is random, as they are never in the same place when moved. What you suggest will shove them over by broad categories once, but will not prevent the issue from happening again (I've tried it -- on accident, but still the same result).

I believe this is a bug in the Studio since it does not happen on my MacBook Air—both are running the same OS.

Jul 17, 2024 10:35 PM in response to BDAqua

That was a good idea I had not thought of, so I tried it. I just created a new account on the machine and logged into it. I added the Mac hard disk to the desktop and arranged the icons in my preferred order. I waited a few minutes, then put the display to sleep. Again I waited about 30 seconds and opened the screen again. The main drive was in the same place, but all three of my external drives were now moved to the lower right of the screen in a grid-style format (I had them all single-line vertical under the main drive). So, while that was good idea, this issue is present in a brand new user profile.

Mac Studio Randomly Moving Drives Issue - any updates?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.