You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Compressor Failing to Encode HTTP Live Streaming Files (H.264 version)

I created a ProRes 4444 source file using Apple Compressor. (The original was a ProRes 4444 file exported from Final Cut Pro, then I added a watermark to it in Compressor and re-output it as a ProRes 4444 file.)

Currently, while Compressor is working fine for other presets, it continuously fails when creating an H.264 version of the HTTP Live Streaming codec. (See attached screen shot.) I've used this for years in earlier versions, but can't get it to work here.

Other compression settings seem to be fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!

Mac Studio, macOS 14.5

Posted on Jul 18, 2024 1:47 PM

5 replies

Jul 19, 2024 11:18 AM in response to BenB

Ben:

This was a really good suggestion. But... it didn't work.

The video is ProRes 4444 and plays fine in QuickTime Player. Frame size is 1600 x 900. And, yes, I've used Compressor for multiple years to successful create these files every week.

I following your instructions and, upon restarting compression, Compressor failed to read a video frame with the following error message:

"Failed: 3x Failed to read video frame: (The media data could not be decoded. It may be damaged.), code: -11821, underlying code: -12137"

The audio file compressed with no problems. All six video streams (because HTTP HLS creates six different streams for different cellphone bandwidth) failed. This is completely repeatable.

I'm open to other thoughts. (I'd use other software but Compressor is the only software that I know of that create HTTP HLS streams.)

Thanks!

Larry

Jul 19, 2024 11:24 AM in response to TrainerLarry

In addition to what Ben suggested, you may want to do the delete settings thing. It works just as in FCP: To delete preferences, hold down command and option while starting the application and click Delete Custom Settings.

(Note: despite the name, this does only reset the preferences to defaults, it does not delete any export settings you have created)

Jul 19, 2024 1:47 PM in response to TrainerLarry

An update....

Compressing a ProRes 4444 file exported from Final Cut Pro using Compressor and the HTTP Live Streaming H.264 settings works. (For simplicity, I abbreviate this as "HLS".

However, if I use Compressor to add a watermark to the video, save the resulting file as ProRes 4444, then try to compress it using the same HLS settings, Compressor crashes. Every time.

My short-term workaround is to skip the watermark, because I need to get this video posted. Going forward, however, I'll export two separate movies from Final Cut - one with the watermark and one without. That way I can post and compress the watermark version, while archiving the clean version "just in case" for the future.

I have no idea why Compressor is crashing on the watermark version, but thought you would like to know.

Larry

Apple Compressor Failing to Encode HTTP Live Streaming Files (H.264 version)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.