You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Segmentation Fault 11

I have code I've written in idl to examine large image data sets. I get a segmentation fault 11 for some of the larger images when I try to read them into arrays. Is there a way I can fix this? I'm running into this issue on both my MacBook Pro and my Mac Studio.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.5

Posted on Jul 24, 2024 4:52 AM

2 replies

Jul 24, 2024 7:12 AM in response to Servant of Cats

Segmentation fault occurs when you reference memory that is not in your segment tables at all.

'Read beyond the end of your array' (if the array is the last thing in that allocation of memory) COULD do that, But servant of cats is more likely correct, a reference to an address WAY out in la-la land.

You get the actual reference and the program counter in that panic report. Use the program load map or listing and the reference to find out what was making the reference, or single-step through the execution and look at the values as they occur.

Throwing together a program is not so difficult. Getting it to work as intended is the more nuanced part, and can take MUCH more intensive work.

Segmentation Fault 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.