You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to select external drive for my Mac Studio

Just bought a Mac Studio and the new WD has been VERY unreliable. I lost 30 hours of design work. [I spent hours on the phone with them and they will not replace a drive that was 18 days old.]

Sooooo what would be a reliable ED? I have a LaCie on my intel IMac and it has been solid. Should I stay with that? I only need 2-5 TB.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Mac Studio, macOS 14.5

Posted on Jul 24, 2024 1:03 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2024 12:40 PM

+1👍

OWC (aka macsales) has a solid reputation in the Mac market. I have many HDDs, SSDs & enclosures that I have purchased from them over the past 20 years and all have worked perfectly. Earlier this year I retired all my old OWC Firewire enclosures, after all these years, and they were still chugging along; I replaced them with much faster USB3 enclosures.

My current favorite enclosure is the OWC Mercury Elite Pro Dual with 3-Port Hub with SSDs inside. (FWIW, I'm using Samsung 870EVO SSDs but am about to try out the Mercury Electra 3G SSDs. Maybe even the 6G's - they get a lot of rave reviews.)

Like @BDAqua, I suggest staying away from the popular consumer "brand name" drives like the WD Passport. You spent serious money acquiring your Studio; don't go cheap on storage, it's actually the most valuable part of your system because it holds all your data. And make sure you always have good backups.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 25, 2024 12:40 PM in response to BDAqua

+1👍

OWC (aka macsales) has a solid reputation in the Mac market. I have many HDDs, SSDs & enclosures that I have purchased from them over the past 20 years and all have worked perfectly. Earlier this year I retired all my old OWC Firewire enclosures, after all these years, and they were still chugging along; I replaced them with much faster USB3 enclosures.

My current favorite enclosure is the OWC Mercury Elite Pro Dual with 3-Port Hub with SSDs inside. (FWIW, I'm using Samsung 870EVO SSDs but am about to try out the Mercury Electra 3G SSDs. Maybe even the 6G's - they get a lot of rave reviews.)

Like @BDAqua, I suggest staying away from the popular consumer "brand name" drives like the WD Passport. You spent serious money acquiring your Studio; don't go cheap on storage, it's actually the most valuable part of your system because it holds all your data. And make sure you always have good backups.

How to select external drive for my Mac Studio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.