You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

The number is registered to my Apple ID, but is not associated with my iPhone

I keep getting this message and what do I need to do?

This number is registered to your Apple ID, but is not associated with this phone. You can keep using the number for iMessage and FaceTime until it expires.

Then I have the option to "Remove from iMessage and FaceTime"

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 13 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Jul 26, 2024 5:20 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2024 3:54 AM

My current phone # is expiring. What can I do to stop it from expiring. I want to keep my current #. Thanks.

7 replies

Sep 2, 2024 6:02 AM in response to minhdominique

If your mobile service provider gave you a new number, then the old number is no longer yours, and you should update your software to reflect the new number. The expiring old number can potentially be given to a new user by the mobile service provider, so that number should expire for you. If you changed mobile service provider, then some mobile service providers may be able to let users keep their old number in some countries, but that has to be dealt with at the start of the transition, as that may take some time, and likely can’t be organized after the transition.

If you meant something different, then I may have misunderstood what was going on.

Aug 28, 2024 5:09 AM in response to minhdominique

The phone number is what your mobile service provider has given you, and is set for a mobile device by the SIM card or eSIM. If your phone has a different phone number associated with it, then you can’t receive cellular phone calls on that iPhone through the mentioned number. If none of your Apple devices have that cellular phone number, then Apple wouldn’t know if the number is actually linked to you.

Sep 26, 2024 9:12 AM in response to p_vincent

This happened to me although the phone number itself was not expiring. It happened because I switched carrier and kept the number. The physical SIM was associated with iMessage and Facetime. So I had to remove the physical SIM and remove from iMessage and Facetime, then add it back (in which it used my new SIM, in this case eSIM). So it is not linked to the number itself it seems, rather the number from a specific SIM.

The number is registered to my Apple ID, but is not associated with my iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.