You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Two Amplifi Alien Stand-Alone Routers in One Apple Homekit Home?

Hi Everyone,

I hope you're all doing well!

I'm looking for clarity on the HomeKit compatibility of the AmpliFi Alien router. I understand mesh points aren't compatible with AmpliFi's HomeKit integration, but I'm curious if two standalone AmpliFi routers can be added to a single Home through HomeKit.

I'm asking because I use two standalone Alien routers to cover my 4-story townhome, and designate one as a mesh point in the AmpliFi app. However, I've had recurring issues with IoT devices (HomePods, HomeKit-compatible or Matter cameras, lightbulbs, sensors, locks) dropping off the network until reset.

My goal is to reduce these issues, and maintain WiFi speed, coverage, and security.

Here are my questions:

1. Can more than one standalone AmpliFi Alien router be added to the same HomeKit Home?
  2. If so, would both routers carry WiFi and internet access via Apple's mesh/thread network, even if only one is connected to the internet?
  3. Would they work together like other devices (cameras, sensors, lightbulbs, locks) in HomeKit? What are the pros and cons?
  4. Could I achieve my goal with only one AmpliFi Alien standalone router in HomeKit? Would my HomePods and other devices extend the WiFi signal sufficiently?

Thanks so much for your help and insights!

Best, Heather

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 17

Posted on Jul 27, 2024 5:27 PM

2 replies

Aug 5, 2024 9:25 PM in response to SimmSeattle

Hello, Heather!

From what I understand about how HomeKit handles HomeKit Secure Router integration, you cannot have more than one router in your home unless it is part of a mesh Wi-Fi network.

After looking into this specific configuration, AmpliFi mentions on one of their support guides that "HomeKit can now be enabled on your AmpliFi Alien router on standalone setups running firmware 3.7.0 or later and iOS mobile app 1.16.0 or later."

I have a setup in my home where I am running a HomeKit Secure Router mesh network with 2 mesh points from Linksys, most of their tri-band models support HomeKit if that is something you are interested in.

Here are your questions answered in order:

1. No, AmpliFi mentioned in a support guide that that setup is not possible.
  2. No HomeKit Secure Routers extend your Thread network (or any smart home network besides Wi-Fi) throughout your home. Only smart home devices, and border routers like HomePod (2nd Generation), HomePod mini, and newer Apple TV 4K models extend your Thread network.
  3. The pros of having HomeKit Secure Routers in your home are purely security related. They add more protection to your HomeKit accessories by controlling which services and devices they communicate with on your home Wi-Fi network and over the internet. You can choose whether or not they are able to communicate with outside services, or just keep the connections inside of your home directly to HomeKit to improve your security. As far as cons go, the only thing I can think of is that you may not be able to get as strong of a network you want using just one AmpliFi router configured using HomeKit.
  4. HomePod and other smart home devices do not extend your Wi-Fi network, just the Thread network if they support it. With the size of your home, you may want to explore other options if you really want a setup that supports HomeKit Secure Routers.

I hope this helps!

-Drake

Two Amplifi Alien Stand-Alone Routers in One Apple Homekit Home?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.