You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I was told if someone added me as a kid to their Apple account as a “ child” then even if they delete it they can always “ restore “ it. Is this true?

My ex-girlfriend added me as a “child” and put her Apple Music on my phone. I was told she can always access all kinds of private information from my phone by simply restoring it. Is this true? If so how do I stop it?

Posted on Aug 3, 2024 11:10 PM

1 reply

Aug 5, 2024 4:29 AM in response to TheoneandonlyblakeEW

Child accounts can be linked to an adult account (‘parent’/‘guardian’), for users under 13 (varies by country). What matters is the DoB as set when creating the child account. It can’t be changed later.

Create an Apple ID for your child - Apple Support

Child accounts for users over 13 can leave the Family Sharing group, or be removed from the group by the organizer. They can be invited back into the group, but when they are over 18 (varies by country), then child supervision may not be possible anymore. Invitations to a group can be accepted of rejected. No-one can force that.

Users over 13 can create their own account. No inherent child supervision applies then.

Joining a Family Sharing group does not necessarily mean a “restricted” child account. Up to 6 users may form a group, optionally all adults, with one ‘organizer’ that does the invites. The sharing options shares selectable services, not the accounts themselves. No private information is shared, unless you agree to that (e.g. location sharing from Apple devices might be a shared service; it can only be forced for under-13 accounts).

About Family Sharing - Apple

Learn more about what you can do with Family Sharing - Apple Support

Set up Family Sharing - Apple Support

Add a family member to your shared subscriptions - Apple Support

Leave Family Sharing - Apple Support

Use parental controls on your child's iPhone and iPad - Apple Support

When it is just about Apple Music, then all the group users for an Apple Music Family subscription get access to this service on their own account, with separate individual settings and libraries and playlists. Playlists can be shared with any Apple Music subscriber, including outside the Family Sharing group.

Age restrictions apply for some music content (“Explicit”); again based on the DoB for the account. Users can also block “E” rated content for their own account. The organizer does not set this.

I was told if someone added me as a kid to their Apple account as a “ child” then even if they delete it they can always “ restore “ it. Is this true?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.