You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

problems with external drive and mac studio display

When I connect my brand new sandisk pro 1Tb to the studio display, connected to my brand new macbook air (2024), the latter freezes from time to time, erratically and I have to hard shut it down. Sometimes, even the finder is dead! When I work without the external drive, things are fine!!! So I am no trying to connect it directly to the mac itself. perhaps a problem of communication speed? Have you experienced such weird issues? Thanks. Dany

MacBook Air 15″, macOS 14.6

Posted on Aug 4, 2024 4:43 AM

7 replies

Aug 4, 2024 7:07 AM in response to merittel

Display data can not be late, or the display will go partly blank. So display data always have highest priority on the Thunderbolt cable. Connecting a studio display over Thunderbolt uses up almost all the cable bandwidth servicing the display.

You should not connect high-speed SSD drives to the display, connect only lower speed devices.

Aug 4, 2024 8:14 AM in response to merittel

No, but having the drive 'disappear' because it had no bandwidth to transfer data or status information might cause that symptom.

To get the full speed for the display through a Thunderbolt cable, the inbound data conductors must be 'turned around' into outbound data conductors for each refresh of the screen. That means the Inbound pathway from the drive to the computer 'disappears' for part of every screen refresh, some 60 or more times a second.

problems with external drive and mac studio display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.