You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Apple mail constantly downloading

M1 Air, OS 14.5. Messages frequently disappear from Apple Mail, at which point the Activity window will show that Mail is downloading messages, often thousands of them, until they finally reappear after a relatively long loading time. This sometimes requires a force-quit. My email account is gmail, and from what I can tell there are not any connection issues. None of the symptoms happen in the gmail browser interface. The behavior remains the same after rebuilding the Mail inbox, after manually deleting the mail preferences and files from the library, and in safe boot mode. Admittedly, there are a lot of messages in my gmail account, probably 150,000+. But I don't believe I'm hitting any limits in my account, and supposedly Mail doesn't have any maximums. ...or does it, in practice?

This has become such a productivity waster that I might need to stop using it. Suggestions?

Posted on Aug 8, 2024 2:34 PM

5 replies

Aug 16, 2024 2:28 PM in response to AppleADay2024

An update to my situation for anyone who might have a similar problem someday:

I deactivated my gmail account in Apple Mail, then manually deleted all local mbox files and Mail preference and cache files in the Library. I then used google Takeout to download an archive of roughly half of my accumulated emails from gmail (the oldest stuff), then deleted those old emails from gmail permanently in order to reduce the total number of messages in the account. Then I imported the gmail mbox archive file into Apple Mail ("On My Mac," i.e. not associated with any account). Finally I reinstated my gmail account in Apple Mail and let everything re-sync. Now I have access to all of my emails in Apple Mail, and the weird syncing problems between Mail and gmail seem to have stopped.

I've had similar issues with Apple Mail in the past, and I think there must be a practical maximum number of message it can handle syncing from a server. I don't think the issue is a maximum in Apple Mail itself, since it seems to handle the large number of local emails just fine. My 2¢

Aug 26, 2024 12:51 PM in response to AppleADay2024

A 2nd update for anyone who might care someday. Even after deleting half of my emails on the server, I started getting the same issues again after a few days. I resorted to limiting the IMAP mailbox size on the server side of things, and that seems to be working. It's irritating to have to go into gmail in my browser to do deep-dive searches, but it is what it is. We'll see if this solved it in the long term.

Oct 3, 2024 8:14 AM in response to AppleADay2024

Ok, one more update. Sorry Apple mail, it's been great but we're breaking up. My gmail inbox and my apple mail inbox are not properly syncing at all, to the point that I'm not receiving some messages in my Apple Mail inbox, and a vendor went unpaid. God knows what else has been missed. Is anyone else having these issues with gmail, or is my account just bad?

Apple mail constantly downloading

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.