You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting zapped!

I have a Mac Studio, two years old never had problems before. In the past few weeks suddenly I’m getting zapped if I touch the metal parts of cables or usb adapters plugged into the computer. Even cables plugged into the usb hub do it. Anything metal, really. I haven’t done anything different or connected anything new. This is really worrying me, what’s going on? Is my computer in danger?

Mac Studio

Posted on Aug 11, 2024 1:13 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2024 2:34 PM

The Mac studio features a 3-conductor, grounded, power cord. If your building wiring and ALL the outlets and power strips and stuff you are using are wired correctly, including proper grounds, you should not be experiencing this issue.

if you are using a [ground bypass] cheater-cord, your wounds are self-inflicted.

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 11, 2024 2:34 PM in response to Qofcheez

The Mac studio features a 3-conductor, grounded, power cord. If your building wiring and ALL the outlets and power strips and stuff you are using are wired correctly, including proper grounds, you should not be experiencing this issue.

if you are using a [ground bypass] cheater-cord, your wounds are self-inflicted.

Aug 12, 2024 9:06 AM in response to Qofcheez

possibly, or possibly not. there are subtle faults that could have developed in your equipment over time, such at on day one, no leakage. if the failure occurred later, but no ground was in place to keep it quiet, it may erupt and make you concerned. Faults like this could be caused by tiny leakage from power supplies. if a proper ground exists, they are immediately damped out.

If not properly grounded, you may get tingled from time to time. This is not seen as an equipment failure, but on a failure to property ground your equipment.

To provide proper complete protection for yourself, Be sure your grounding is up to standard, and no cheater cords are in use.

Aug 15, 2024 11:48 PM in response to HWTech

No, the plug it came with had a distinctly female connector where the prong should be. It looks as if it was designed to accommodate a separate grounding prong that slides into the metal-lined hole.

On the plus side, the plug did have small metal plates on either side. I purchased a different type of adapter that also has metal pieces on either side. It worked. The plug is now properly grounded and I'm no longer getting zapped.

Aug 12, 2024 9:44 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I may have an answer, but it's a bit odd. Turns out the cable and plug that came with the computer has a European two-pronged plug (despite me buying the computer in the UK from Apple directly!). There is a metal hole where the ground should be, but no prong. The adapter I have to use has a ground, but it doesn't work if the plug is two-pronged.

It doesn't explain why it only just started happening, but could be the answer. Unfortunately, I haven't a clue why it didn't come with a fully grounded UK plug, or what to do about it!

Aug 15, 2024 2:09 PM in response to Qofcheez

Qofcheez wrote:

Turns out the cable and plug that came with the computer has a European two-pronged plug (despite me buying the computer in the UK from Apple directly!). There is a metal hole where the ground should be, but no prong.

Are you sure the grounding prong did not break off in the electrical outlet? I've seen that occur once or twice over the years.

Aug 15, 2024 5:01 PM in response to HWTech

In the US, we get lulled into thinking that every power cord is molded at both ends, I know especially in the UK with different plugs, cords for appliances might sometimes be sold as a do-it-yourself Kit. But the correct plug to use is still a grounded one, and the appliance (computer) has a grounded inlet. Using something with only two pins is cheating.

Getting zapped!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.