You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Music not working after Sonoma 14.6.1 update

Music launches normally, and it plays songs from Apple, but is unable to play any songs from my library. Using a MacBook and I don't know if the update has severed the links to my uploaded audio files. If I click on a song title, the App pops another title into the box at the top, but still does not play anything – neither the correct track, nor the incorrect track that it is now pointing to.

Any thoughts on how to repair this would be most gratefully received.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 14.6

Posted on Aug 15, 2024 11:58 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 17, 2024 11:45 AM

Following the 14.6.1 update, Music on my MacBook Air starts up, shows the little spinning pinwheel for a few seconds, then immediately shuts down. It doesn't show my music library or most items in the sidebar.

I reinstalled 14.6.1, and it made no difference. Music still won't work. I'm glad (in a sad way) that I'm not the only person experiencing problems with Music, because it makes it less likely that I screwed something up.

14 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 17, 2024 11:45 AM in response to rd41

Following the 14.6.1 update, Music on my MacBook Air starts up, shows the little spinning pinwheel for a few seconds, then immediately shuts down. It doesn't show my music library or most items in the sidebar.

I reinstalled 14.6.1, and it made no difference. Music still won't work. I'm glad (in a sad way) that I'm not the only person experiencing problems with Music, because it makes it less likely that I screwed something up.

Aug 16, 2024 4:15 PM in response to rd41

I’m having same problem. I did a migration assist from an intel to silicon Mac and my Intel Mac music app plays fine with all songs but the music app on the silicon is broken. I would click a song that’s downloaded and it would show a millisecond then disappear. I called twice to Apple Support and I did everything under the sun and it’s still having problems. At this point I reported it as a bug they need to fix in next update cause my other devices play fine.

Sep 1, 2024 10:25 AM in response to jack_ryan_68

Ok, I found a solution that worked for me. All of my music is on a NAS. The software update seems to now be looking for a new default path and also updating where it writes new music files for an existing custom path. I tried an experiment and it worked for me.

I moved all of my NAS based music to a new 'Music' directory nested directly under the existing 'Music' directory because that is where the Music App is now writing new files. I did not change my custom defined music directory. The next time I started the Music App it magically found my NAS based music even though the physical directory location had changed. I tried ripping a new CD and to my amazement it is also writing to the same directory where all of my existing music is stored.

I hope this is helpful to someone else with similar issues.

Oct 9, 2024 9:28 AM in response to rd41

I had this happen after the Sequoia update. I traced the problem to a Permissions issue—Sequoia messed up Permissions on most of my Users/(user)/ folders.

The solution for me was to run GetInfo on my Music folder, add my name giving myself Read/Write privileges. Then while highlighting that bar, make myself the Owner and checking Apply to enclosed items.

If you have your tunes stored on a separate drive, you need to do this with both the Users/(user)/Music folder and your external drive.

My AppleMusic library now saves as it should. There are some other AppleMusic bugs in macOS Sequoia 15.0.1 that I'll save for a different discussion if they come up but being able to save changes and add more tunes is not one of them.

Aug 18, 2024 5:58 PM in response to rd41

I found this response to another post, and it solved my problem. It may not solve yours, but there's no harm in doing it, and the app recreates these files when you start it up again. Corrupted preference files can cause all sorts of issues, apparently.

"...got the app back to live by deleting the following preferences: com.apple.Music.plist and com.apple.Music.eq.plist. These files are located at your user library (make folder visible with command+shift+)."

Aug 18, 2024 9:46 PM in response to dick young1

Unfortunately i didn’t see those files on my end. At this point im probably gonna call them again and report it as a bug. I already sent a bug report on their feedback page and if we keep this thread going someone from Apple will see it and report it. Apparently this issue has been happening since MacOS 14.5 from what I read from others.

Sep 1, 2024 8:02 AM in response to rd41

I am having a similar issue. Since my last MacOS update to 14.6.1 the Music App is now appending an extra 'Music' directory onto my custom defined Music Media Folder Location. My music library is located on a NAS drive. Now, when I go to rip a new music CD it is writing the files to the wrong directory on my NAS.

I have had issues like this with iTunes in the past and after a MacOS update but not in a long time.

I call this a bug and I doubt it will be fixed.

[Edited by Moderator]

Sep 23, 2024 7:38 AM in response to rd41

RD41 - THANKS - This absolutely worked. So many people on the net have poor advice on this issue. I upgraded to SEQUOIA and when it was complete, iTunes (for whever reason), could not connect to my music library on an external drive and i got the dreaded Apple -54 error... Anyone else who is getting this, follow RD42'd advice here, it reconnected the library no problem at all. Thanks again!!

Aug 19, 2024 4:10 AM in response to rd41

UPDATE - Apple support (on chat) was unable to fix this and they moved me from Music to OS/MacBook support, as I do not have the problem on my synced iPhone, only on the MacBook.

To cut a long story short, I seem to have fixed it by following the steps below. I don't promise it will work for you, and I always backup everything (multiple times), because the thought of losing my collection is a source of distress.

• - - - -

I went to Music app Settings > Files > Music Media folder location

I made a note of the location listed there.

Then I went to make a duplicate of the folder at that location. (For me it is a very big folder, as I have hundreds of CDs uploaded there. I will keep the copy on an external backup drive too, as I don't want to have to upload everything again.)

Then I relocated the original folder within another folder on the MacBook, and I pointed to the new folder from Settings > Files > Music Media folder location.

The system then prompted me (sorry, I don't have the exact working, as I did not take a snapshot) if I wanted to preserve the organisation that I had previously had.

To this I clicked YES (as I assumed this would keep the tracks in their albums/Artist organisation etc).

It then went through every song title and updated the links. It did this at a very fast pace, though it still took a few minutes to get through the thousands of tracks. But you can actually see the titles fly past, so you don't interrupt the process before it is complete.

And now Apple Music is playing everything as expected. This includes my uploaded CD tracks, as well as some Apple Music that had somehow also fallen victim. (I did not realise this when I made my initial post.)

I think renaming, or moving the Music Media folder simply forced it to rebuild its directory, and so far it seems to be working just as it should.

As I said, I would backup everything before doing this, and keep a separate copy of your Music Media folder for protection, but this worked for me.

I hope it works for you too.

Music not working after Sonoma 14.6.1 update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.