You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini M2 no internet connection via Ethernet to modem or Wi-Fi

A new problem! there have been no connectivity issues since connecting directly to the modem via Ethernet, done by our isp provider a couple of weeks ago. A couple of days ago, I shut down and unplugged my mac mini m2 computer for storms. When I rebooted this morning, no internet. Wi-Fi is working on all other devices. Mac won’t connect either Wi-Fi or wired.

I have rebooted Mac, unplugged modem and rebooted it. Still no internet. I just bought this computer Dec2023 and have never this much trouble with any Mac owned. Desperate to get this fixed. It’s my only computer.

Also, have been having problems printing to network printer. Both Mac and printer are connected to the same network but “printer can’t be found” errors happen. Discovered my Nord now interferes with the network and it is a known Nord/Mac issue, but it is another annoyance.

iPad, iPadOS 17

Posted on Aug 16, 2024 4:39 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 16, 2024 8:53 AM

UnhappymacminiM2 wrote:

Tell me. :{
I have just uninstalled Nord VPN and hope to clear up email issues as well. What a pain. Thank you for your reply and commiseration!

We all make the occasionally costly mistake.

You might also give this a look when you have time:

Effective defenses against malware and ot… - Apple Community

15 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 16, 2024 8:53 AM in response to UnhappymacminiM2

UnhappymacminiM2 wrote:

Tell me. :{
I have just uninstalled Nord VPN and hope to clear up email issues as well. What a pain. Thank you for your reply and commiseration!

We all make the occasionally costly mistake.

You might also give this a look when you have time:

Effective defenses against malware and ot… - Apple Community

Aug 16, 2024 7:59 AM in response to UnhappymacminiM2

UnhappymacminiM2 wrote:

Thank you for this information. I intend to uninstall ESET, but didn’t know that Nord VPN wasn’t necessary. Do you not recommend VPN connection?

Unless you're using the VPN to connect to a secure server such as you work or school, or you are living under a repressive regime that doesn't allow you full internet access, probably not.

See here:

Don't Use VPN Services

Aug 16, 2024 7:29 AM in response to UnhappymacminiM2

UnhappymacminiM2 wrote:

After a call with Apple support, it was discovered that ESET security (antivirus) app was the problem. I have deactivated it as this is not the first issue I have had with it.

Apple already has all of the security that you need built into the macOS. see > macOS - Security - Apple

You do not need any third-party AV, Protecting or Cleaning software. In fact, some can and will do far more damage to your Mac than just killing the network connection.

So.... instead of just disabling ESET and Nord, you should completely uninstall those as per the developers instructions.

Aug 16, 2024 4:56 AM in response to UnhappymacminiM2

Have you uninstalled Nord?

Does Ethernet & Wifi show up in System Report?

1. On your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Settings, then click Network  in the sidebar. (You may need to scroll down.)

2. Click the Action pop-up menu  on the right, then choose Set Service Order.
  3. Drag services into the order you want.
  4. Click OK.

The interface that connects to the Internet should be dragged to the top of the list.

System Settings>Network>choose interface>Advanced>Proxies Tab, make sure none are set, like for HTTP & HTTPS.

If using Wifi, instead of joining your Network from the list, click the WiFi icon at the top, and click Other network>Other. Fill in everything as needed.

System Setttings>Network, click a network service on the right, click Details, then click DNS. (You may need to scroll down.)

Enter these numbers...

Aug 16, 2024 4:50 AM in response to UnhappymacminiM2

Sorry to ask the obvious, but do you have any other means to confirm the router is not at fault, especially after a storm and possible variations in power?

That being said, you seem to point out at several issues - i would ensure you take advantage of the first year to have it checked at an apple store - they can diagnose most physical issues on the spot - in less than 10 minutes. That has to be done by appointment.

Aug 16, 2024 8:23 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

Thank you. I wish I had investigated more before spending good money for two licenses of Nord (desktop and laptop). I didn’t understand how they worked, just accepted the “secure” connection sales pitch. I will uninstall this also and chalk it up as an expensive lesson. Thank you for the link to the very informative article.

Mac mini M2 no internet connection via Ethernet to modem or Wi-Fi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.