You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Book recommendation for a dinosaur...

Can anyone refer a book or source answering my questions of how a computer works from soup to nuts? I bought the book "How Computers Work" by Ron White but it was like reading a dictionary and very hard to follow.

Posted on Aug 16, 2024 2:54 PM

5 replies

Aug 16, 2024 10:11 PM in response to 1MLF

You could do worse than get a copy of a recent (2024) title 'Computers Made Easy: From Dummy To Geek, 2nd edition, by James Bernstein. ISBN 9798608506109. It seems to me to be more approachable than the Ron White book.

Or if you wanted a primer before you get going on a more text-based title I would not shy away from a book for young readers called 'Computer Technology For Curious Kids', (2024) ISBN 9781486318360

You might also find a wealth of older books to browse through for yourself, if you are lucky enough to be in a city that has a few second-hand book stores which stock technology titles.

Oct 4, 2024 10:47 AM in response to David McKinlay

David,

In response to book recommendations on if they were helpful, here are my thoughts after reading them. "Computer Technology" was written for an early adolescent. It had a lot of colorful illustrations but they did not relate to the topics. The topics were so brief they were not helpful.

"Computers Made Easy Second Edition" was written for Microsoft users and as you can guess I am familiar with Apple. The book was helpful but, it mainly focused on using a computer and I am looking for something about HOW a computer functions.

Book recommendation for a dinosaur...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.