You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple HDD SATA not erasing or mounting

Hi! I am attempting to restore an old Mac Mini (I believe 2012, but could be older) that is currently running El Capitan (OS X, 10.11.6). This is a work Mac Mini, and I am hoping to be able to use it at my station after a coworker left. When I first received the Mac, it gave me a prohibitory symbol (circle with a slash) and after checking discussions, I was able to successfully reinstall El Capitan on the 128GB SSD and startup the device and create a User account. Importantly, the Mac also comes equipped with a 1TB HDD that I would like to be able to access. After reinstalling the OS X and going back to disk utility, I notice that the Apple HDD, is grayed out (see photo).

I performed a "First Aid" to which it found the partition is running properly. However, I am unable to erase and mount the disk. It keeps giving the following error when I try (photo below):

newfs_hfs: WriteBuffer: pwrite(3, 0x7fad19036000, 512, 1024): input/output error

newfs_hfs: write (sector 2): input/output error

Could not mount disk1s2 with name (null) after erase

File system formatter failed

Operation failed...

Because of this, the Mac says I only have 128GB of storage and I would like to access the rest.

Any advice on how I can erase and remount the HDD? Any help would be appreciated. I don't mind erasing the data or Mac HD and starting over again since I want it to be essentially as empty and brand new as possible.

Thanks in advance.

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Aug 18, 2024 8:01 PM

3 replies

Aug 18, 2024 8:40 PM in response to Apple_HDD_MacMini_Help

The SSD & HDD should be joined as a Fusion Drive...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusion_Drive

I think you'll have to erase both & join them, but 1st...

You can use Drive DX to possibly get a better view of Drive health…

https://binaryfruit.com/drivedx

When you reformat try Formatting to ExFat 1st, then MacOS extended Jounaled, GUID Partition scheme.

If your Mac has a Fusion Drive and you see a flashing question mark or alert, see the troubleshooting section of the Apple Support article About Fusion Drive, a storage option for some Mac computers.

If you continue to have problems with your disk or it can’t be repaired, it may be physically damaged and need to be replaced. For information about servicing your Mac, see Find out how to service or repair your Mac.

In Terminal…

diskutil resetFusion

How to fix a split Fusion Drive - Apple Support

Apple HDD SATA not erasing or mounting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.