You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Possible to stretch games that appear at a different resolution (4:3) than the screen (16:9)?

I have a Mac mini M2.

I like to play some older games which are designed for a 4:3 resolution.

My monitor however got a 16:9 resolution.

So I end up having black bars on the left and right side of the application window.

But I would prefer to have these games stretched over the full monitor, even if they then appear more wide than they usually are.

I was able to do that on my Linux (I just recently switched to Mac) and I'm curious if there's a similar option to achieve this behavior on Mac, too?

Mac mini, macOS 14.4

Posted on Aug 19, 2024 4:54 AM

4 replies

Aug 19, 2024 1:04 PM in response to Maci92

Maybe, Maci92… if you hold down the “option” key when you go to “displays” ( system settings > displays) you should get a bunch of resolutions including native for display… otherwise I dunno… you may be able to mess around with the game’s resolution to get a 16:9 rather than a 4:3 display ( so called “widescreen fix” otherwise you may have to pay for “SwitchResX” from madrau software… which games ? If you try typing in the title of the game + widescreen in Google you might find some kind of “fix” or “hack” to make the game run in widescreen mode… again I don’t know which games you want to run in widescreen ( 16:9) mode… I used to go into the game’s files and figure out how to get it to run something close to widescreen, which involved a little editing… that’s just me though

john b

Aug 19, 2024 1:15 PM in response to OldGoat67

Unfortunately the games I currently tried (Settlers 2 and Settlers 4) both have only 4:3 resolutions.

I found a widescreen fix for Settlers 4, but it did not work correctly as some parts of the screen are not visible anymore if I use that one.

In "displays" settings I have my native resolution (1920x1080) selected. If I change it to a 4:3 resolution (e.g. 1024x768) I get the black borders even on desktop.

I'll have a look at SwitchResX.

Possible to stretch games that appear at a different resolution (4:3) than the screen (16:9)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.