You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Studio Ethernet Port Restricting Speeds

On my Apple M1 Ultra I have had a 10gb/s cat 6 connection to my server that has always provided full speed. Suddenly that same connection is being capped at 100mb/s, making it pretty much unusable for our needs.

I tested the cable on another machine and got full speed. I tested the cable on the same machine while using a 1gb/s USB-C adapter and was able to get the full 1gb/s speeds. It seems the issue is the ethernet port itself which is now operating with a maximum of 100mb/s.

I have tried manually adjusting speed / MTU in network settings to no avail. I have tried the usual reboots and such, and nothing has worked. Reading other similar issues on the forum I found one person who mentioned the same problem after a power surge, and we have had electric work done in our office this weekend, but every other machine on the server is still operating at full speeds.

Wondering if this is just faulty hardware that needs to be replaced, or if there's a potential solution to this problem without having to send the machine in. Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you.

Mac Studio (2022)

Posted on Aug 20, 2024 4:15 PM

17 replies

Aug 21, 2024 11:53 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks for the reply. Regarding the network priorities, Wi-Fi is never turned on with this machine and I have been troubleshooting with one active connection at a time, so the tests aren't being impacted by that.

The biggest identifier is that when the cable is plugged into the ethernet port the internet doesn't cross 100mb and the server says capped at 100mb, but the same wire on the same computer through an adapter has both speeds at 1gb/s. So the issue does seem isolated to the ethernet port itself.

I'm assuming I'll need to just take this into an Apple technician to resolve, but was hoping to avoid being without my primary machine while it's solved. Either way, thanks for the input and perspective so far.

P.S. One other note is that in the Hardware settings in Network, anything plugged into the Ethernet port defaults to Speed @ 100baseTX. Changing this speed hasn't changed the results, but just worth noting that even the network settings seem to be seeing this at the 100mb/s cap.

Aug 21, 2024 4:26 PM in response to PSC6060

Ethernet actual CLOCK speed:

The good way to check the actual connection speed USED to be Network Utility, But in Catalina and later, Apple has deprecated Network Utility and now you have to use a Terminal command to see your actual connection speed. First, you need to know what en number the link is. then you use a command like this one, substituting the actual en number.

my main Ethernet connection uses BSD name en2 (as shown in) :

 menu > about this Mac > (system report) > network:

Aquantia AQC107-B0:

Name: ethernet

Type: Ethernet Controller

Bus: PCI

Slot: Slot-3

Vendor ID: 0x1d6a

Device ID: 0x87b1

Subsystem Vendor ID: 0x1d6a

Subsystem ID: 0x0001

Revision ID: 0x0002

Link Width: x4

BSD name: en2

Kext name: AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion.kext

Location: /System/Library/Extensions/IONetworkingFamily.kext/Contents/PlugIns/AppleEthernetAquantiaAqtion.kext

Version: 1.0.64

Terminal command:

ifconfig en2 | grep media

with this as my output for 10 Gigabit Ethernet:

media: 10Gbase-T <full-duplex,flow-control>

For ‘regular’ Gigabit Ethernet, you should get this instead:

media: 1000baseT <full-duplex,flow-control>

Aug 21, 2024 4:28 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Ethernet Errors detected:

To see if an Ethernet link is throwing more than a handful of initial errors, you can use Terminal command:

netstat -I en2. ---of course usng the correct en number for YOUR interface

This is the resulting output. Counters are In-packets, In-errors, Out-packets, Out-Errors, Collisions. There should never be more than handful of errors from starting up, and in most cases, NONE.

Name       Mtu   Network       Address            Ipkts Ierrs    Opkts Oerrs  Coll

en2   8163  <Link#4>    00:01:d2:1a:00:dd   696697     0   484301     0     0

en2   8163  grantsmacpr fe80:4::461:ea0d:   696697     -   484301     -     -

en2   8163  192.168.0/23  192.168.0.204     696697     -   484301     -     -

Reading the top line, If the link were running beyond its ability to run and be stable, for example it auto-speeded to 10Gb but the cabling could only reliably support 2.5Gb, we would see non-zero errors counts, and errors increasing over time. (and possibly, disconnecting)

Aug 26, 2024 2:47 PM in response to PSC6060

I am experiencing this identical problem, the only difference being that mine is a Mac Studio M1 Max. Otherwise I'm seeing exactly the same scenario you describe in your original post and your follow-ups.

My Mac Studio is connected via ethernet to a TP-Link switch which previously showed the connection as gigabit via an LED on the switch's front panel. That LED is no longer lit, and I'm seeing max speeds of ~95Mpbs. If I unplug the Mac Studio and use that same ethernet cable to connect my old 2013 iMac instead—in other words, everything downstream from that ethernet connector is 100% the same—suddenly the switch's LED again shows a gigabit connection and I see expected speeds (900+Mbps up/down) on the iMac.

I only realized there was a problem a couple of weeks ago when Dropbox syncs suddenly seemed to take much longer than normal, so I can't pinpoint exactly when the issue started or if it's connected to a particular macOS update. (I was running 14.6 when I discovered the problem, but the 14.6.1 update didn't change anything.)

Aug 21, 2024 12:57 PM in response to Servant of Cats

Correct, both the internet speed tests and the server speed ratings are listed as "Mbps" (as opposed to MBps). The left image attached is the internet when the ethernet is connected through the USB-C adapter, the right image is the internet when the ethernet is connected directly to the ethernet port. The setting it defaults to in the ethernet port for speed is "100baseTX".

On the server, direct to the ethernet reads Current Speed as "100Mb/s" while still showing "Type: 10Gb/s". When switching the same cable / connection to the USB-C adapter it shows "Current Speed: 1Gb/s" with "Type: 10Gb/s". Until this problem started, Current Speed always read as "10Gb/s" when plugged directly into ethernet port.

Aug 20, 2024 5:51 PM in response to PSC6060

PSC6060 wrote:

On my Apple M1 Ultra I have had a 10gb/s cat 6 connection to my server that has always provided full speed. Suddenly that same connection is being capped at 100mb/s, making it pretty much unusable for our needs.

The 10 Gigabit Ethernet ports on Mac Studios do not support operation at speeds below 1 Gigabit per second. If yours is making a connection at Fast Ethernet (100 Mbps) speeds, something is very unusual.

Aug 21, 2024 10:14 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

The Admin portal on our server shows the speed of every connection. It still shows my setup as being 10gb/s, but now shows 100mb/s actual speed anytime I'm connected via the internet port.

I also have a USB-C Ethernet adapter I use for internet that provides 1gb/s speeds. My internet speed test showed 975mb/s via the adapter. When I switched the ports and plugged the internet into the built-in ethernet port I now get 95mb/s internet speeds, and plugging the server connection into the USB-C adapter gets me back to 1gb/s on the server connection.

The thing that caused me to identify the problem in the first place was sluggish speeds on the server, where normally I can rapidly move large data and suddenly it was taking over an hour to move 30gb.

Aug 21, 2024 11:07 AM in response to PSC6060

100 M bits/sec Ethernet uses baseband signaling (one bit per signalling interval). Everything faster uses a modulated signal. As Servant of Cats stated, Mac Studio has dropped Ethernet baseband signaling altogether, and sees not support 100 M Bits/sec speeds on its built-in Ethernet port at all.

I can not resolve what your Switch is telling you with what Mac Studio built-in Ethernet actually supports. But I do know that if all eight conductors are not wired correctly, Gigabit Ethernet and faster can behave VERY strangely. (100 M bits/sec ethernet only uses four of the eight wires.)

A very common 'internet speed test' confusion is that the Mac uses the TOPMOST network interface listed at Settings/Preferences > Network for connection to the Internet. If Wi-Fi is topmost, that is what an "internet speed test' will measure, regardless of what you intended..

Aug 21, 2024 12:32 PM in response to PSC6060

Just to double-check … everything that we have been talking about is in units of bits per second? Not bytes?

Standard convention for network interfaces is to quote nominal speed in BITS per second. The same rule goes for interfaces like USB, FireWire, and Thunderbolt. But when people benchmark of read and write speeds of external drives, you will often see the results presented in terms of megaBYTES per second.

Aug 21, 2024 12:48 PM in response to BDAqua

MTU is set to "Standard (1500)", though after reading some other threads I did try it at 3000 to see if it had any impact (which it did not).

Duplex is at full-duplex, also tried flow-control with no changes.

Limit IP Address Tracking is on, and I believe Low Data Mode is only an option for wi-fi so I don't have that selection for ethernet.

Aug 27, 2024 10:33 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Running your tests above, I get the following results:

media: autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex,flow-control>)

Name    Mtu  Network    Address      Ipkts Ierrs  Opkts Oerrs Coll
en0    1500 <Link#20>  9c:76:0e:49:18:9f  102166   0    0   0   0
en0    1500 mac-studio. fe80:14::1027:960  102166   -    0   -   -
en0    1500 192.168.138  mac-studio.lan  102166   -    0   -   -

Note the "autoselect" configuration above. If I manually set it to 1000baseT (or any higher option), I get the following:

media: 1000baseT <full-duplex> (100baseTX <full-duplex>)

Name    Mtu  Network    Address      Ipkts Ierrs  Opkts Oerrs Coll
en0    1500 <Link#20>  9c:76:0e:49:18:9f  106681   0    0   0   0
en0    1500 mac-studio. fe80:14::1027:960  106681   -    0   -   -
en0    1500 192.168.138  mac-studio.lan  106681   -    0   -   -

Mac Studio Ethernet Port Restricting Speeds

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.