You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

watchOS 10.6.1 battery draining fast

This past week, particularly the past 3-4 days I’ve noticed that my Apple Watch’s battery runs low after I’ve worn it for 10-11 hours. I’ve not had that issue before with this model watch (A2774, series 8, 45 mm, stainless with GPS + cellular). What’s going on?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Aug 23, 2024 5:21 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2024 4:20 PM

Why do we have to go thru all that?? Apple software should solve the issue themselves.

21 replies

Aug 23, 2024 7:45 PM in response to laura gayle

If the battery drains too fast after an update, see all the replies to:

has anyone had battery issues with the 10… - Apple Community

Battery Drain since watchos 7.4 - Apple Community

WatchOS 7.5 battery drain - Apple Community

FWIW, in some cases, unpairing the watch, completely erasing it, then pairing and restoring the backup will resolve the battery draining issue after an update. (Simply unpairing and pairing again may not work.)

Unpair and erase your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Also, some people have found that simply waiting a few days after an update resolves the battery draining problem.

Also see:

Apple Watch battery drain - the ultimate … - Apple Community

Aug 27, 2024 4:19 PM in response to ToddDonald

Me too. SE2 watch. Last night updated to 10.6.1. Immediately prompted me that it would only charge to 80% to “increase battery life” but I could tap the green circle for full charge. Wear it to sleep for data. Woke up to 82% when usually 95%. Then over 3 hours drained from 82 to 69. I set it for low battery mode (only found that in fitness part of watch choices ?!?)- and that has slowed it down. It’s gone down 3% in last 2 hours.

definitely the update is what started all this….. HELP.

Aug 31, 2024 1:03 PM in response to laura gayle

Having the same issue suddenly on AW4 40mm (92% battery health).

I noticed the battery dying midway through my day, but figured it was because I charged it a little irregularly out on vacation. So I charged it for 10 hours overnight and put it on this morning at 10:30am Just watched the battery drop from 58% to 45% in less than an hour (now 3pm) not running any apps. A full charge won’t last more than 8 hours now when previously would last over 20??

Aug 28, 2024 2:31 AM in response to laura gayle

AW Series 6 44mm here, the battery life has been god awful for a while, but with 10.6.x it barely lasts 24h. The only major thing I actively use the watch for is tracking one workout, around 1h, and paying for stuff. I can see on the battery usage screen that my active usage is not the problem, the background usage is. I only have a couple of apps installed that is like seconds usage, have noise measurements off, background app refresh off.

Tried unpairing/pairing it, since setting it up is not that much of an hassle for me, nothing changed. Mostly indoors for my typical work day, gets to the end of 24h always on the red now. When outdoors, it struggles to get through the day, and died on me in a couple of occasions.

Battery health is 86%, it was replaced through battery service not even 1 year and a half ago.

Aug 31, 2024 4:19 AM in response to Muffit89

Have you tried to resolve the issue? There are some relatively simple steps you can perform to resolve this yourself.

What is required is a forced restart of your Apple Watch. A forced restart is more than just turning your Watch off and on. Observe the battery usage for the next 24 to 72 hours. If there is no improvement you’ll need to unpair the Watch from your iPhone, force restart the Watch and the iPhone and lastly pair the two devices. Battery usage will return to normal in 24 to 72 hours.

Force restart Apple Watch - Apple Support

Force restart iPhone - Apple Support

Sep 5, 2024 10:18 AM in response to laura gayle

Apple needs to fix this issue with an update! Haven’t they learned from the past that it’s not ok to make these alterations with such an impact on battery life?!?! My watch went from lasting morning till night no issues, at least 20hrs before a charge was needed. Now it doesn’t even last half the day. I can see it quickly dropping in battery percentage by the minute. To have such an expensive device be such a let down because of one update. This needs to be fixed ASAP! I’ve tried all of the recommendations and nothing has worked. I feel like it’s actually made it worse! Not impressed right now Apple. 🤬

Aug 31, 2024 1:49 PM in response to mrpotato55

Have you tried to resolve the issue? There are some relatively simple steps you can perform to resolve this yourself.

What is required is a forced restart of your Apple Watch. A forced restart is more than just turning your Watch off and on. Observe the battery usage for the next 24 to 72 hours. If there is no improvement you’ll need to unpair the Watch from your iPhone, force restart the Watch and the iPhone and lastly pair the two devices. Battery usage will return to normal in 24 to 72 hours.

Force restart Apple Watch - Apple Support

Force restart iPhone - Apple Support

Aug 28, 2024 7:59 AM in response to javaliga

I have tried unpairing and wiping (resetting and deleting) my watch. It had no impact. Battery going from 100 to 4 in 2 hours. I went to Apple Store and was told the diagnostic showed nothing wrong, so the technician could not help. He did tell me that when the max battery life gets to 79 (mine is at 86) Apple will offer a new watch for $100.

Aug 30, 2024 6:20 PM in response to javaliga

I have done this 3 times now with no change in battery drain. Apple Store says they can do nothing. Apparently the watch is dead to them at 79% max battery and so I’m almost there, so there’s nothing we can do, said the Apple Store rep. He did offer to send my current model 8 to Apple service for $349. They wouldn’t fox mine but they would send me a new 8.

Sep 26, 2024 11:53 AM in response to laura gayle

My series 5 A2095 only received the 10.6.1 update two days ago (Canada). My battery was rapidly decreasing to under 50% from 100% charge after wearing for 3 hours and tracking a fitness workout. The software was slow and unresponsive as well. I began to think this was apples typical way of forcing you to buy their new product. I tried what was suggested here, unpairing and erasing/ restoring to factoring settings. After about 12 hours my watch has retuned to normal. Thank you for the recommendation.

watchOS 10.6.1 battery draining fast

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.