You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to stop Macbook from connecting to Mac Mini

I have a Mac Mini for personal use and a Macbook for work. Both are connected to a splitter, so I can use the same monitor whether I’m on the Mac Mini or Macbook. However, because of how close both computers are, the Macbook will want to connect with the Mac Mini, which I’m wanting to avoid to keep work separate from personal stuff. I’m not sure what this is called, but how do I disable it?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 14.5

Posted on Aug 23, 2024 9:08 PM

4 replies

Aug 24, 2024 7:15 AM in response to maetheunicorn

It wouldn't be Sidecar between two Macs.

If you see one of the Macs offering to let you use the other Mac as a display, that would suggest that you are looking at AirPlay, and that the Mac that is showing up as a possible AirPlay destination is set up as an AirPlay Receiver for AirPlay to Mac.

Set up your Mac to be an AirPlay Receiver - Apple Support

Use your Mac as a display - Apple Support

It doesn't mean that the Macs are mixing personal and work data, or that you even need to make the AirPlay connection (which will just let one Mac take over the other's screen.).

Aug 23, 2024 9:14 PM in response to maetheunicorn

maetheunicorn Said:

"How to stop Macbook from connecting to Mac Mini: I have a Mac Mini for personal use and a Macbook for work. Both are connected to a splitter, so I can use the same monitor whether I’m on the Mac Mini or Macbook. However, because of how close both computers are, the Macbook will want to connect with the Mac Mini, which I’m wanting to avoid to keep work separate from personal stuff. I’m not sure what this is called, but how do I disable it?"

-------

Turning off Mirror the Screen to an External Display:

If looking to turn off mirroring to an external display, perform the following will mirror the Home Screen, and it will allow you to use it as an extended display.

• Without Touchbar: Hold Down [command + F1]
  • With Touchbar: Hold Down: [command + dull screen]

How to stop Macbook from connecting to Mac Mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.