You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

How can I stop verification failed alerts from popping up repeatedly?

how can I get rid of the Verification Failed pop-up from spamming my windows computer?I don't have any apple device with me and I'm abroad.

these pop-ups make my laptop unuseable.

[Re-Titled By Moderator]

iPhone, Windows 10

Posted on Aug 24, 2024 2:48 PM

11 replies

Aug 26, 2024 5:46 PM in response to fabatteauw1

I'm not sure what your concern has do to with a Mac. I understand it's affecting a Windows PC, so why do you need an Apple device? What exactly is making your PC laptop unusable?

Are you asking about Apple's two-factor authentication?

Use two-factor authentication - Apple Support

If so you need a trusted device which can be an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Apple Watch, or Mac that you've already signed in to using two-factor authentication. It can also be a code sent via text or voice to a trusted phone number. You can also use a security key that can be used for verification when signing in with your Apple ID using two-factor authentication.

As you can see there are plenty of options available to use your Apple ID while you're abroad, but you need something that assures your Apple ID remains secure, and isn't being hijacked by nefarious individuals or equally nefarious automated attempts to defraud you.

If that doesn't address your concern please explain.

Sep 3, 2024 3:09 PM in response to fabatteauw1

Ok... for my own edification, can you confirm the popup you're receiving resembles the following:

If you click the blue text "Didn't get..." then the following appears

... and you can use any one of the "trusted phone numbers" you provided in the past.

Are those options not available?

I don't have any Windows PCs so I have no idea how they work.

Sep 3, 2024 1:59 PM in response to fabatteauw1

I understand you do not have one of those trusted devices with you, nor a phone with a trusted phone number that can receive a phone call or text from Apple. Nor do you have a security key in your possession.

If all of that is true it's a show-stopper. You won't be able to use your Apple ID because as far as Apple is concerned, some nefarious bad guy on the other side of the globe is trying to defraud you.

It's all... "for your protection" of course.

Is there someone at home with access to your old iPad? Someone you trust enough with that iPad's numeric passcode, who can read the two-factor digits to you over the phone? That's one possible workaround.

Sep 6, 2024 2:26 PM in response to John Galt

Interesting development... I am back in the US and used my (very old) ipad as a trusted device to finally get rid of the pop ups.

To no avail.

I changed my password.

Everything works but the popups remain.

And all my pictures (fortunately I only had shared pictures there) have disappeared.

Thank you apple for all the frustration.

I am at this point seriously considering getting rid of everything apple (email addresses, icloud, a lot of puchased music, movies, tv shows, etc...)

The only reason I am really holding on to apple stuff is the ability to get shared pictures from my niece (who has no idea how to share them in any other way) and a shared calendar with my daughter...

Unfortunately my family is totally apple minded since I introduced them many many years ago to ipod, ipad, iphone and all the wonderful things apple realized back in the day.

How can I stop verification failed alerts from popping up repeatedly?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.