You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Studio M2 - under 6 months old - problem booting up, where light blinks once.

This is a rather frustrating problem.

On pressing the boot up button the light blinks once. It won't start up. I've tried removing all peripherals, and unplugging the power cable prior to starting up again, and the same problem occurs. It worked fine for the first five months. Despite it being summer here, the casing is unusually cold to the touch (My iMac sits on the desk alongside and the metal on the case is warm in comparison), which makes me wonder if it is the underlying issue. If I persist with starting it, perhaps over a five or ten minute period, it eventually boots up and operates as it should throughout the day with no problems at all.

I work from home for an external employer, so am keen not to leave the machine in sleep mode every night in a bid to avoid the issue.

I have seen a thread in Reddit explaining exactly the same problem in detail including a video (https://www.reddit.com/r/MacStudio/comments/1cxs5k6/mac_studio_blinks_once_but_cant_boot_up/)

There is also another thread on here explaining it, with 26 people stating "Me too". Mac Studio M2 won't boot - led flashes on… - Apple Community

It is clearly an issue affecting numerous Mac Studios. Does anyone have any further info on how to move forwards with this? Are Apple aware and making an effort to fix the problem? Can anyone point me to other threads with a possible solution.

Thanks.

Mac Studio, macOS 13.5

Posted on Aug 27, 2024 5:58 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 27, 2024 6:22 AM

The advice in that thread is still great advice.

The flashes in the power indicator and failure to start are "help me" messages, because the processor is so short of some vital resource it can not start up and give you a better message. That particular message is likely a system-on-a-chip message, such as RAM not responding. The fix likely requires a mainboard swap.

Do not dwell on whether Apple has a systemic issue with these boards. Over a very large sample, they have been extremely reliable. As long as you can reproduce the problem, get your Mac in for service right away, and if still under warranty, Apple will repair it, free.

When the mainboard is swapped, it is very likely your files may not be returned to you.

¿What is the date of your most recent backup, and by what method?

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 27, 2024 6:22 AM in response to RicTRBusiness

The advice in that thread is still great advice.

The flashes in the power indicator and failure to start are "help me" messages, because the processor is so short of some vital resource it can not start up and give you a better message. That particular message is likely a system-on-a-chip message, such as RAM not responding. The fix likely requires a mainboard swap.

Do not dwell on whether Apple has a systemic issue with these boards. Over a very large sample, they have been extremely reliable. As long as you can reproduce the problem, get your Mac in for service right away, and if still under warranty, Apple will repair it, free.

When the mainboard is swapped, it is very likely your files may not be returned to you.

¿What is the date of your most recent backup, and by what method?

Aug 28, 2024 2:11 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks Grant. I back up local files automatically via Time Machine, and I work with a team that uses Dropbox for the majority of our working files, so I am not overly concerned about losing data. It starts up eventually most times the when issue occurs, and this morning it started first time. Just frustrating that a new piece of kit is playing up. I've used Macs for 25 years without any issues prior, so I guess I just got unlucky this time.

I'll get it booked in.

Mac Studio M2 - under 6 months old - problem booting up, where light blinks once.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.