You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is my Mac mini running macOS High Sierra compatible to macOS updates?

Its a factory refurbished Mac mini and it is just darling and I really haven't got a clue. I learned computer on PC and for years I loved my Galaxy phones but the viruses and everything else really got me down so in 2019 I bought an iPhone. It took me a good 2 years to learn how to do much more then talk, text and web browse but lately its really been a lot of trouble to mesh my pc with my iPhone so I bit the bullet and bought this little Mac. I think the problem is the OS(high Sierra) is too old. I can't get any apps for it and every other thing I try to do it seems like the system is telling me its incompatible with my OS. Can I upgrade the system? Please tell me I don't have to go buy another computer, I still haven't learned to use this one. And I keep forgetting to replace my pc keyboard! Like I said, HELP11

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Mac mini, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 30, 2024 5:12 PM

4 replies

Sep 1, 2024 8:15 AM in response to Julietrene99z

If your "About this Mac..." window, as in BDAqua's example, does NOT show a year, click the "System Report..." button to get something like this:

I've used a red arrow to indicate a code for "Model Identifier." Please tell us the code BUT please DO NOT post a serial number.

We can translate that code for you and give you a more relevant answer regarding your upgrade path, if any,

Aug 30, 2024 10:25 PM in response to Julietrene99z

The hardware release year will determine whether, and how far, you can upgrade that Mac mini. If your Mac mini was released before 2012, you cannot upgrade past High Sierra. If it was released in 2018 or later, it could not be running High Sierra.

You can upgrade a Late 2012 Mac mini to Catalina, and a Late 2014 one to Monterey. Catalina is no longer one of the "most recent three", and Monterey soon will not be, but either would be enough to run the current versions of Firefox and LibreOffice.

Sep 1, 2024 12:57 AM in response to Julietrene99z

My old Mac mini late 2009 running Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan is still in light use with my father. Updated with Samsung 860 EVO 1 TB SATAIII SSD it runs at an acceptable speed.

Safari does not work with all sites so he switched to Firefox 78.15.0esr (for banking he has to use a newer iPad, though). LibreOffice 7.2.6, BBEdit 12.1.6, Carbon Copy Cloner 5.1.28.6213, GraphicConverter 11.6, and KeePassX 0.44 run OK.

Is my Mac mini running macOS High Sierra compatible to macOS updates?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.