You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looking for Alternatives to the Music App - that will sync with my iPhone.

I, like many, find the Apple Music app "less" than useful when organising songs, making playlists and syncing with my iPhone.

Which is why I am still running Mojave and using iTunes on my 2017 intel iMac where I can do that. In addition, there are scripts written by "Doug" that can identify missing sings, duplicate entries, remove the daft album rating etc.

Inevitably, one day, this will no longer be possible.

In which case, is there an app that will allow me to do this?

Cheers.

iMac 27″ 5K

Posted on Aug 30, 2024 10:02 PM

11 replies

Aug 30, 2024 11:31 PM in response to Jimzgoldfinch

Not al all.

Ihor280, from his post states the challenges better.

Ihor280

Author

User level:

Level 1

8 points

Sep 3, 2023 2:13 AM in response to TheLittles

So let me be a bit more precise:

With Apple Music, I seem to be stuck with only being able to sort my music by Album, Artist, Genre, and Song. However, when a choose an artist, I cannot access that artist's body of work in columns, but I'm restricted to the Album formatting, and, if I have many albums by one artist (e.g. about 30 albums by The Rolling Stones, The Beatles, etc.), I have to scroll through everything in order to get to the one I want. It's a bloody PAIN in the A**!

And, if I want to find an artist on an album of various artists, and then play that album, it's a nightmare!

Maybe I'm not seeing some obvious solution to this, but, honestly, I find Apple's methods extremely arcane and not at all the easy, user-friendly system that is touted by many. I'm really starting to regret moving from the PC system!

Sep 13, 2024 7:10 AM in response to Timothy Holt

File -> New Smart Playlist

This finds all the bruce Springsteen material in my Library and - note the second line - the items are grouped by Album. So, not just a scattering mixed up list, but alphabetically arranged by album title.

And if you prefer, you can just show them as Albums:

I'm not sure if I've been misreading what you're looking for, but there are all my Springsteen material lined in Album order, or presented as Albums in an icon view.

Sep 21, 2024 11:36 PM in response to Jimzgoldfinch

M

aybe it does. but much less easily than before.

What could be simpler than typing "bruce springsteen high hopes" in the old search box?

As I did just now?

Under Music - If I type "bruce springsteen high hopes" in the search bar I get nothing.

f I type "bruce springsteen" or "high hopes" I get

And there is no option too view it as a list.Smart lists are a step backwards, Since I will have to create one every single time I want to find something, and, selecting songs takes an enormous effort for something that used to be "Dead Simple".

Apple constantly does this. The mail app is a pale shadow of what it used to be.

Aug 31, 2024 2:39 AM in response to Yer_Man

Please read my post.

I don't want all the songs by an artist. That's not the place I want to be - especially if the song is on several albums and there are several versions.

That's why I build playlists. To select which songs I want after I have played them and rated them.

In Music, one can't even get a selectable "list" of songs - because when you search for an artist, there is no longer a list view.

So, is anyone aware of an alternative...

Sep 13, 2024 12:58 AM in response to Yer_Man

Can you send me a screen shot of a list view, after having searched for an artist and album please.

Smart lists don't really work since I cannot figure out search within the list.

For example, having created a list of all Dua Lipa songs, how doe I search for "Future Nostalgia" in that list

Sorting by clicking on a column used to do something. But no longer.

Sep 13, 2024 1:03 AM in response to Timothy Holt

Can you send me a screen shot of a list view, after having searched for an artist and a specific album please?

Smart lists don't really work since I cannot figure out search within the list.

For example, having created a list of all Dua Lipa songs, how do I search for the "Future Nostalgia" album in that list. I hope it doesn't involve another ""smart list".

Sorting by clicking on a column used to do something. But no longer.

Looking for Alternatives to the Music App - that will sync with my iPhone.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.