You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Error "Verification Failed" while signing in with Apple ID on an old iPod

I just found an old ipod. I tried to sign in with Apple id but an error comes up. It says "Verification Failed. The certificate for this server is invalid. You might be connecting to a server that is pretending to be 'setup.icloud.com' which could put your confidential information at risk." If anybody has any idea why this is happening please reply.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPod touch

Posted on Aug 31, 2024 7:46 AM

4 replies

Oct 1, 2024 1:07 PM in response to eloiseeee04

Hi eloiseeee04,

Unless I'm mistaken, an iPod Touch requires iOS 10.0 or later in order to be able to sign into the iTunes Store. A 4th generation iPod Touch can only install up to iOS 6.1.6, so it can no longer access the store. You can however, buy music from the store via iTunes and then synchronise it to your iPod.

The verification failed message is probably trying to tell you (in Apple's clumsy way) that you simply cannot access the store with that iPod.

Oct 1, 2024 9:21 AM in response to varjak paw

hi, i’m having the same issue and have tried several different restarts and changing of wi-fi networks and it still is saying either “network unavailable” or “verification failed” i’m not sure what to do now and i also bought my ipod touch i think it’s a 4th generation second hand but reduced it factory reset and wiped clean of anything from the previous owner

Does anyone know the solution for this?

Error "Verification Failed" while signing in with Apple ID on an old iPod

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.