You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Compressor vp9 support

Hello. I've done a transfer from Google Photos to iCloud Photos and I've ended up with a bunch of files from Google into my iCloud Drive cause "they weren't supported". Looking at them, they are using Google's vp9 encoding.

Will I be able to transcode them using compressor? Is there support for them? I'll probably end up encoding them to HEVC.

Thanks.

Posted on Sep 2, 2024 8:01 AM

6 replies

Sep 2, 2024 8:33 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thank you, Tom, for the swift reply.

Hmm... No, that's the format they are stored in Google Photos. I am trying to find a good set of options using ffmpeg or Handbrake, but I can't get the transcoded quality right while keeping at least the same file size.

Any recommendations?

One idea that I had is to do a lossless conversion to a format that Compressor supports (file sizes are going to be 10x larger) and then use Compressor on those. Does that make any sense?

Sep 2, 2024 9:22 PM in response to kkdd285

Google Photos has "Original quality" and "Storage saver" settings. The latter option was recently "updated" to convert downloaded movies to Google's VP9 codec which is incompatible with Apple's native apps (a workaround is to use IINA or VLC etc for viewing).

So the best quality option is to disable "Storage saver" setting in Google Photos and then try to download the originals.

Or re-encode VP9 to some compatible format with Handbrake, Shutter Encoder or ffmpeg.

Compressor vp9 support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.