You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Apple Books says imported PDF is now damaged

Apple Books cannot open a PDF I had imported saying PDF is damaged.

The Issue:

I had “Apple Books” corrupt a PDF I’d been working with for over three years - I’d been notating and marking up the PDF across my devices.

All of a sudden (Sept 2024, iPad & Mac OS Sonoma), I got the error “PDF damaged” on my iPad - and because of how well Apple sync’s across its devices this corruption spread to the version stored on iCloud and to every other device.

The Fix:

Restore a version of the PDF from my Time Machine Backup. The only problem was trying to find where “Apple Books” stored my freaking PDF. After quite a bit of digging around, I think the mythical “iCloud Drive/Books” folder is an Apple internal thing and for us mere mortals, this is how we get to it..

Details

First, a sanity check from Terminal (or Finder > Go > Go  To Folder):

$ cd ~/Library/"Mobile Documents"/iCloud~com~apple~iBooks/Documents
// check that the PDF actually exists and cannot be opened by Preview (“damaged PDF” error)

Next, try to ‘Restore’ from Time Machine:

1. "Time Machine" > "Browse Time Machine Backups" and follow along to the right ‘Documents’ folder

2. Navigate to place where "Apple Books" stores its Documents

a) ~/Library/"Mobile Documents" => Note that this gets referred to as the “iCloud Drive” at this point

b) iCloud~com~apple~iBooks => this is now the mythical “iCloud Drive/Books”  - for me, this folder was grayed out..

c) Documents => hopefully, you see all your PDFs from “Apple Books” here

3. Select the file that was corrupted by “Apple Books”

- Check that this backup version of the file is OK by opening it / ‘quick look’

- If OK, select the file and press the “Restore” button

- In my case, at this point, there was no indication that anything was happening. 

- I waited for a few minutes, it looked as if the system was frozen..

- I pressed Cmd+Option+Esc, and it immediately put me back to my desktop as I was before going into Time Machine

- I checked in Terminal again, and I saw that the file had been restored..

4. If “Restore” doesn’t seem to work. Another way I tried (seems more reliable..)

- After checking the Time Machine version was OK

- ‘Copy’ the file I wanted restored (Rt Click > Copy)

- ‘Paste’ file somewhere 

- “Delete” damaged PDF from “Apple Books”

- Import’ the recovered and pasted file into “Apple Books”

Hopefully, it is sorted out at this stage.

Good luck!

MacBook Air 15″

Posted on Sep 2, 2024 2:23 PM

There are no replies.

Apple Books says imported PDF is now damaged

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.