You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What does native DisplayPort output over USB-C mean?

I have a Mac Mini A2686.

there is a notification in the spec that it is possible to have a maximum of two displays.

however the specs seems confusing to me:

Gelijktijdige ondersteuning voor maximaal 2 displays:

• Eén display met een resolutie tot 6K bij 60 Hz via Thunderbolt en één display met een resolutie tot 5K bij 60 Hz via Thunderbolt of een resolutie tot 4K bij 60 Hz via HDMI

Digitale video-uitvoer via Thunderbolt 4

• Ondersteuning voor native DisplayPort-uitvoer via USB‑C

how should I interpret the digital signal native displayport through USB-C

can I add one display via TB4 to HDMI and add one physical via USBC to displayport and one direct on HDMI.

I’ll need one physical display

two virtual displays via videomixer.

[Re-Titled By Moderator]

Posted on Sep 2, 2024 10:06 PM

5 replies

Sep 2, 2024 11:30 PM in response to Jacko Duker

According to MacTracker, that is a Mac mini with the base M2 chip.

Mac mini (2023) - Technical Specifications - Apple Support

You can connect up to two displays. You can connect

• One display via HDMI, USB-C (DisplayPort), or Thunderbolt
  • One display via HDMI, and a second display via USB-C (DisplayPort) or Thunderbolt
  • Two displays via USB-C (DisplayPort) or Thunderbolt

If you choose to do things the third way, there will be a lower maximum resolution on the second display than on the first. This won't affect the ability to plug in 4K monitors, but may result in fewer Retina modes being available on the second one.

Sep 2, 2024 11:58 PM in response to Jacko Duker

Jacko Duker wrote:

how should I interpret the digital signal native displayport through USB-C

The USB-C connector is like a Swiss Army knife that can have many blades. DisplayPort Alt Mode is one of those blades. This is DisplayPort protocol, but on the USB-C connector. Thunderbolt Alt Mode is another one of those blades. Thunderbolt offers very high bandwidth, and can carry DisplayPort signals multiplexed with other signals.

Most third-party monitors do not need or understand Thunderbolt. They are either looking for USB-C (DisplayPort) input, or for some more traditional form of input that you can get by using a USB-C (DisplayPort) adapter.

Thunderbolt usually comes in

• When you have a monitor with unusually high resolution, like the 27" Apple 5K Studio Display or the 32" Apple Pro Display XDR
  • When you plug a Thunderbolt dock, hub, or adapter into your Mac. This can let you plug two regular displays, with resolutions of 4K @ 60 Hz or less, into the same Mac host port, via the Thunderbolt dock.

Here, Thunderbolt provides a wide "data highway" to carry video for one very-high-resolution display, or for two more typical ones.

Sep 2, 2024 11:45 PM in response to Jacko Duker

Jacko Duker wrote:

can I add one display via TB4 to HDMI and add one physical via USBC to displayport and one direct on HDMI.

If you are asking if a M2 Mini with the base M2 chip can support three displays

• One connected via HDMI to HDMI
  • Two connected via USB-C (DisplayPort) to HDMI

the answer is "No." The M2 Mac mini has three ports to which you can attach monitors, but a limit of two displays.

I’ll need one physical display
two virtual displays via videomixer.

I'm not sure what "videomixer" is.

There are features in macOS to let you create virtual screens in software, and switch between them.

Work in multiple spaces on Mac - Apple Support

Sep 2, 2024 11:12 PM in response to Jacko Duker

yes the standard thunderbolt is a thing apple and intel developed which is a serial multiplex of displayport signals and pci-express signals along with hdmi it's how one connects displays to macs that has thunderbolt connectors

it will of cause not alter how many displays you can connect to the mac that is set by the gpu part of the system on a chip (m2)

What does native DisplayPort output over USB-C mean?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.