You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Will macOS Sonoma handle a mac mini 2018?

I have a Mac mini 2018 (Intel-based), 8GBs of RAM, Will it run macOS Sonoma smoothly?

Posted on Sep 4, 2024 1:40 AM

10 replies

Sep 4, 2024 12:57 PM in response to Goku3508_iOS

The 2018 Mac mini has two RAM sockets, and can take as much as 64 GB of RAM (2 x 32 GB).

If you decide to get more RAM, I would suggest getting it from Other World Computing or from Crucial. Macs can be picky about RAM.

Other World Computing – OWC Memory Upgrades For Mac mini (2018)

Crucial – Apple Mac mini (2018) RAM Upgrades

My understanding is that installing RAM is a bit tricky – certainly not as easy as on Late 2012 Mac minis (which had a RAM access hatch). You can find installation videos and tool kits on OWC's site, but Apple's recommendation is to have a service center do it.

Upgrade or install memory in your Mac mini - Apple Support

Sep 4, 2024 7:30 AM in response to Goku3508_iOS

We have Sonoma running on a 2018 mini now. It runs great.

However, 8 GB of RAM is going to be tight. Fine for general use such as email, messages, surfing the web, word processing, etc. But if try running RAM intensive apps like Photoshop, DaVinci Resolve - especially all open at the same time - expect your Mac to lag.

But that will happen under any OS version with only 8 GB of RAM.

Will macOS Sonoma handle a mac mini 2018?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.