You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

I don’t have a camera for the Mac Mini, Will I be able to use my iPhone as my Mac’s camera?

I don’t have a camera for my Mac mini, Will I be able use my iPhone’s cameras as the cameras for the mac mini?

Posted on Sep 4, 2024 5:19 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2024 7:53 AM

Maybe but it would probably be a better idea to buy a cheap webcam like the Logitech C270 for under £20.

It's very basic and only records 720p but it's better than many expensive 1080p ones with more bells and whistles.

I was so impressed that I bought 2.

Logitech Webcam

This is the kind of quality you will get from the video.

12 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 4, 2024 7:53 AM in response to Goku3508_iOS

Maybe but it would probably be a better idea to buy a cheap webcam like the Logitech C270 for under £20.

It's very basic and only records 720p but it's better than many expensive 1080p ones with more bells and whistles.

I was so impressed that I bought 2.

Logitech Webcam

This is the kind of quality you will get from the video.

Sep 4, 2024 8:28 AM in response to Goku3508_iOS

Thanks for asking the question as I have done a bit of research and discovered a FREE app called Iriun which you download on your Mac or PC together with one for your Android or iPhone.

Within 2 minutes I had downloaded them and had my Android phone connecting with my mini. It took less time than watching the video!

USE ANY PHONE WITH ANY COMPUTER

Sep 5, 2024 8:22 AM in response to Goku3508_iOS

I concur to the idea of a webcam - also much easier to fix and position.

Also, unless you only use Apple ecosystem (re: Facetime), it may not be that easy or friendly to use the iPhone with non-Apple apps (skype, ms-teams, google meet, zoom…). For those (probably more chance to be used for work, school, more) it will be much easier with a logi webcam.

Sep 7, 2024 5:55 PM in response to Goku3508_iOS

This depends on your model of Mac mini that you have, as well as what version of iOS and iPhone you have and version of MacOS that you have. There are versions of these that allow you to use your phone as your camera just by having them on the same AppleID. I have a Mac mini m2 and an iPhone 15 Pro Max and all versions are up to date with the most current and when I go into an app that uses a camera on my Mac mini I can select my iPhone 15 to be the camera for my Mac. I don't have to connect any wires or anything. As long as you have the hardware and the software to support it, you can do what your looking to do.

Sep 4, 2024 9:47 PM in response to Ian R. Brown

I'll try to find a budget one, Is there anyway I can connect it to the Mac? I'm a windows user, I used a 2011 MacBook Air, Sad that it's obsolete, but I'm upgrading to an M1 or an M2 Mac mini, I'm just researching before I buy anything, ANYTHING I PLAN TO BUY, I'm gonna research it's pros and cons, and the pro here, is a basic camera connecting to a Mac mini machine

I don’t have a camera for the Mac Mini, Will I be able to use my iPhone as my Mac’s camera?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.