You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

"Hold for Authentication" from Ventura to Sonoma.

I've been having this issue for a couple of months now after I upgrade from our 2017 iMac running Ventura to our Mac Studio running Sonoma.

I have a print shop with eight different large format printers.

Previously, we had our 2017 iMac as our main computer and a 2021 iMac set up with Bonjour to use the printers that were set up on the 2017 iMac without a issue, simple as a plug in play.

Now that I have our Mac Studio as the main computer handling the printers and the 2017 iMac set up to use the shared printers through Bonjour, I get the " Hold for Authentication ".

I can't figure out what setting on the Mac Studio is blocking the path so the 2017 iMac can send work to the printers.

Any insight would be helpful and thank you for your time in advance.

Posted on Sep 4, 2024 8:52 AM

4 replies

Sep 4, 2024 11:19 AM in response to 8bitpill

Some info onthat eror, & though it's abiut it happening with Paper Ct app, it applies widely...

https://www.papercut.com/kb/Main/HoldforAuthentication/

Force Mac to Request Authentication for a Printer

Steps to resolve when a MAC is trying to print to the Print Server and the job is getting stuck at "Authenticating".

Remember, credentials use below format

username: boilerad\username (if this doesn't work, just try your username)

password: career account password

1. Click the refresh symbol on the job in the print queue, if the login prompt does not appear, continue to step 2
  2. Open Terminal and type lpstat -s to list all printers on the system.
  3. Find the problem printer ([printer-name]) in the list f devices. The printer name will be located after the line "device for"
  4. Ex: device for MyPrinter_5600_Series: usb://00000000-0000-0000-AB12-00000000
  5. In this case, the printer name would be MyPrinter_5600_Series
  6. Type sudo lpadmin -p [printer name] -o auth-info-required=username,password
  7. When you press return the Terminal will prompt for the MACs local password, enter it to continue
  8. Clear the print queue and send another job to the problem printer, the user should now be prompted for their credentials, follow the format at the top of this article.

Sep 5, 2024 8:32 AM in response to BDAqua

I've come across that post and read into it. I've tired a couple things it stated with no luck.

I'm most likely going to call Apple Tech support for this since its been a hold up I can't get around and worked without issue with our M1 iMac 2021 when it was set up with the 2017 iMac.

If I get it functional, I will post the steps here.

Thank you BDAqua for your time on this.

"Hold for Authentication" from Ventura to Sonoma.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.