You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

7th gen IPod appears as a 5th gen

Hello my names Max, you can call me STARI. So I was working on this iPod and when I put it in finder it shows up as a 5th gen but it’s a 7th gen.

see what I mean, it also just bootloops whenever I turn it on. Sadly I don’t know the fix, if you do please comment on this post if you know how to fix this. Is also always says loading or loading softwhere.

Posted on Sep 7, 2024 5:52 PM

1 reply

Sep 8, 2024 5:18 AM in response to Stari-div

Although it might look like a 7th generation iPod to you, in fact I think you will find it's a 5th generation one. The iPod's capacity, as seen in the screenshot says 29.99GB, or in other words, a 30GB iPod.

The later models of iPod, known as the iPod Classic, did not come in a 30GB capacity. They all had more storage. Specifically:

• the 80GB and the 160GB versions, first released in September 2007 and commonly referred to as a 6th generation iPod, or iPod Classic (and the first one to be referred to {by Apple} as the iPod Classic)
    • the 120GB model, released in September 2008, also known as the iPod Classic or 6th generation
    • the revised 160GB model released in September 2009, again known as the iPod Classic, or sometimes referred to as a 7th generation iPod Classic

As far as getting the iPod recognised properly by Finder (about which I know every little), open the Finder menu, go to General and make sure that CDs, DVDs and iPods is ticked (checked). Then see if you can get Finder to Restore the iPod. Also, see if either of these Apple articles help:

If you want further confirmation of the model of your iPod;

• is there a serial number etched into the back casing and if so, what are the last three letters of that serial number? (Don't post the entire serial number)
    • if you can get into the iPod itself (i.e not with Finder), go to Settings and look for the software version. What does that say?

Either of the above pieces of information can help us identify your model.

7th gen IPod appears as a 5th gen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.