You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Mac mini suddenly stopped connecting to my WiFi, now it says it is connected but it’s not actually connected.

Earlier today I was using my Mac mini and it was working fine. Suddenly, my internet stopped working but it said it was still connected. I’ve searched up countless videos and none of their suggestions work. My only option is to use hotspot which is the only thing that’s works. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Mac mini, macOS 14.6

Posted on Sep 7, 2024 7:27 PM

3 replies

Sep 7, 2024 7:50 PM in response to Dannyluxfrr

Dannyluxfrr Said:

Mac mini suddenly stopped connecting to my WiFi, now it says it is connected but it’s not actually connected.

———-

Troubleshooting Mac WiFi:

A few thoughts to try...

I. Clear the Temporary Internet Files:

II. Restart your Router:

1. Power: off the router
  2. Wait: 30 seconds
  3. Power: It back on

III. Boot in Safe Mode:

In Safe ModeLogin Items do not run at login, certain preferences are set aside, and damaged system files are then reset. So, once booted in to Safe Mode, wait 30 seconds, and then boot up normally, attempting another update install. For instructions, go here: How to Use safe Mode on your Mac - Apple Support

IV. Try a New Admin User:

What happens when you create a new administrator user, and log into it? Do you still get this error? If not, then it is likely an error with the current user. If so, then it is likely an error with your Mac.

Sep 7, 2024 11:55 PM in response to Dannyluxfrr

When the problem occurs, and you Option-click the WLAN menu, does the Mac have IP address?

My router's old firmware had an issue where it did not properly give some device a new IP# so Internet was unreachable for that random device. Rebooting the router and the Mac/iPhone/iPad was a quick simple fix, and after updating router FW the problem has not occurred (knock on wood).

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.