You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

How can I access my Music library on an older macOS?

Hi there, I have a mac mini running Ventura. I have backed up my entire music library (All CD and Vinyl Rips, no apple music) to an external drive.

I want to be able to use the music library on the external drive with my macbook pro but keeping all the files on the external hard drive and not transferring to the mac book pro's built in drive.

Only problem is MacBook Pro is Monterey and that is as far as it can go. So when I try and use the music library it won't let me as it says it was created on a newer version.

Is there a way round this?

Many Thnaks

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 9, 2024 1:07 AM

3 replies

Sep 10, 2024 12:03 PM in response to SmickerBaaay

On the Ventura system you should be able to use File > Library > Export Library to export the library as an XML file which you should store on the external drive. You can then connect the drive to the Monterey and use File > Library > Import Playlist to import the file you created earlier. This should retain ratings, play counts, playlists, etc. however Date Added values will reflect the import date. If that is an issue a subscription to Apple Music should let you use the same library across multiple computers and versions of macOS.

tt2

How can I access my Music library on an older macOS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.