You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

CATV Monitor won't display.

I am trying to get a friend's old Mac Mini to display the desktop or anything else on a CATV monitor. It is running High Sierra which is as high as the OS can go on this mini. Firstly it's a 2010 Mac Mini that has been attached to a Lacie CATV Monitor for years and has worked well for her. She uses it for writing only. She has been having problems with the text being very fuzzy on startup. I have change the resolution a number of times and seem to have found a sweet spot where if is left for a few minutes the fuzziness goes away. Today it was beyond fuzzy. There were duplicates of anything showing on the screen so I tried adjusting the resolution on the monitor again to 'default for display' instead of 'scaled' where it has been for years. Usually when changing the resolution the screen goes momentarily black but then comes back with the new resolution. This time the screen stayed black and I have no way to access the display settings in the system preferences. I was able to start the computer in safe mode and select guest instead of the admin to see the desktop and adjust the monitor settings back to what worked before but when I start the computer in the admin option, the screen just goes back to black. I realize that changing the screen res as a guest won't affect the settings under the admin access. Is there anyway to get the desktop to show using the admin access than anybody knows of? Thank you.

Posted on Sep 9, 2024 9:58 AM

9 replies

Sep 9, 2024 10:35 AM in response to werdup

Maybe , werdup

start out by shutting down your Mac Mini, starting it up/-resetting the smc/pmu followed by 3-4 pram zaps also on startup..,here’s how to do that ;

https://www.macworld.com/article/224955/how-to-reset-a-macs-nvram-pram-and-smc.html

I have read more of your post and.. oh dear ! You might have a hardware problem.. try Apple diagnostics :

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support (CA)

and see what that gets you…

John b

Sep 11, 2024 9:20 AM in response to woodmeister50

I attached it to my TV simply by pulling the HDMI cable out of my Apple TV and plugging it into the mini. It worked fine. I tried to set the monitor settings to 'scaled' which is where it was set to when it was working but it makes no difference to the old monitor. I get a double Apple logo when it starts up but then the screen eventually goes black. See attached below.

BTW it is a Lacie Electron19 monitor which was one of the best back in the day.

I can't even get anything on the screen when I open it in safe mode anymore.

So I think it's time to get in another monitor.

Sep 9, 2024 10:39 AM in response to OldGoat67

I don't see how it can be a hardware problem. The computer starts up in safe mode just fine. It's just that I made a adjustment on the screen display preferences so that the monitor displays nothing. The computer is starting up just fine. I'm just trying to figure out how to get the monitor to display under admin mode.

I'll have a look at your other suggestion.

Thx

Sep 9, 2024 11:22 AM in response to OldGoat67

Tried re-setting the NVRAM and still get black screen.

'Detect your display.' I cannot do this as I don't have access to the Apple menu. (Remember the screen is black)

'Reset the resolution in safe mode.' I tried this but I didn't click Default because that's what caused the problem in the first place. I just chose a scaled option that was working before.

Sep 9, 2024 12:17 PM in response to OldGoat67

Again but the issue is not this the display. The display works fine in safe mode. Even trying to open under the Admin option I get the window that asked if I want to open the application I had opened before shutting the computer down. Hi tried cancel, open, and waiting for it to automatically open (as there is a countdown clock window.) Whenever I try the screen goes black. This is only happening under the admin option. I cannot go to system preferences because there's no way to do that when the screen is black. There's nothing to click on.

CATV Monitor won't display.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.