You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Recovery mode using external monitor /

imac pro 2013 / i7 / GTX780 / High Sierra 10.13.6 /

The screen is dead however the machine runs fine with an external mac monitor running from firewire port / I want to reprovision the machine to run linux (as mac os is not supported anymore(!) /

How do I run recovery mode or select boot mode using the external monitor? The main screen is not working at all / When I try option or opt cmd P+R from USB or wireless keyboard I get nothing on the external screen / S

Posted on Sep 9, 2024 4:35 PM

5 replies

Sep 9, 2024 5:53 PM in response to andrewfromnew zealand

andrewfromnew zealand wrote:

Thanks for replying!

You're welcome.

I'm using mirror mode without effect / Surely there is a way to select / force use of a screen?

No unfortunately there is not.

If not, then how do I disconnect the internal monitor?

Unfortunately that requires opening up the iMac, which is not recommended without the proper tools and skill set.

The other option, might be to leave macOS on the iMac and install Linux in a virtual machine.

Running GUI Linux in a virtual machine on a Mac | Apple Developer Documentation

https://www.quora.com/Can-you-run-Linux-in-a-virtual-machine-on-macOS

Sep 26, 2024 4:26 AM in response to andrewfromnew zealand

andrewfromnew zealand wrote:

imac pro 2013 / i7 / GTX780 / High Sierra 10.13.6 /

The only iMac Pros that Apple ever made came out in 2017. Those were all-in-one desktop computers with 27" 5K Retina screens and Intel Xeon W processors.

The iMac (27-inch, Late 2013) seems to match your description. You can update it to Catalina – but no further.

The screen is dead however the machine runs fine with an external mac monitor running from firewire port

That Mac does not have a FireWire port.

Recovery mode using external monitor /

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.